HP Inc. Firmware From Windows Update

hello ESET. i thought it would be good to install the HP Inc. Firmware from Windows Update. So? Now i am having problems with Microsoft Edge Browser. it keeps on popping up a Administrators UAC Window. i quarantined the malware with Malwarebytes. 

is my pc now open to hackers? should i re install Windows? does this malware block New Updates from Microsoft?

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, UltimateGamingPower007 said:

hello ESET. i thought it would be good to install the HP Inc. Firmware from Windows Update. So? Now i am having problems with Microsoft Edge Browser. it keeps on popping up a Administrators UAC Window. i quarantined the malware with Malwarebytes. 

is my pc now open to hackers? should i re install Windows? does this malware block New Updates from Microsoft?

Do you have ESET installed and have done a scan to the system or received any real-time detections?

The firmware has nothing to do with the detections from MalwareBytes or whatever is happening to Edge, because if the firmware was obtained from safe place like Windows Update or manufacturer website , it shouldn't be infected

Try to download ESET trial , ESET Smart Security and make a full system scan and post the results if detections happened

If you have any other real-time scanner , disable it when ESET runs

Edited by Nightowl

4 hours ago, UltimateGamingPower007 said:

i thought it would be good to install the HP Inc. Firmware from Windows Update.

How did you receive this Win Update? Did you manually check for Win Updates in Win 10/11 and the firmware update was offered? Or, the firmware update was shown as available for download when you accessed Win Updates in Win 10/11?

If you received the notification that the firmware update was available via any other means such as when browsing, an e-mail link, a desktop notification appeared unexpectedly, etc., the Win Update request is most likely bogus. Of note: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/gadgets-news/hp-is-warning-users-about-this-fake-windows-11-installer-heres-why/articleshow/89540059.cms

Edited by itman

i did not have ESET Smart Security installed when i was installing the HP Inc. Firmware from Windows Update For Windows 10.0.19045.2006. i Hope that it hasn't injected a virus or malware into my BIOS 😭

Edited by UltimateGamingPower007

• Most Valued Members
47 minutes ago, UltimateGamingPower007 said:

i did not have ESET Smart Security installed when i was installing the HP Inc. Firmware from Windows Update For Windows 10.0.19045.2006. i Hope that it hasn't injected a virus or malware into my BIOS 😭

Try to download ESET Smart Security and run it as trial on your email address , it will give you 30days and after that you have to buy a license

But , using the trial , make a full system scan and see what it picks up , or when the real-time protection is running , it can also catch if there is something , but if there is other things running as real-time scanners , like MalwareBytes or idk what antivirus , they should be disabled so ESET and the other antivirus doesn't conflict with eachother

Windows Defender gets automatically disabled when ESET is installed.

And I doubt that firmware downloaded directly from Microsoft Windows Update through Windows 10 Update area has some infection , unless something went crazy at Microsoft , but I don't think so.

• Most Valued Members
On 1/4/2023 at 11:45 AM, UltimateGamingPower007 said:

Please note this forum is for eset users so support will be very limited. You can use a trial but it might also be worth posting on a generic security site