ESET slows down the processing of GPO policy

MPEC Tarnow

Product: ESET Endpoint Antivirus 9 and 10

System: Windows 10 and 11

Before installing ESET AV GPO policies are processed without any problems.

After installing ESET, policies are processed with normal speed, except one: "Group Policy Printers". (tested on few computers)

In this policy we deploy shared printer (with option UPDATE - it's important, because UPDATE option installs drivers only when they don't exist - in others cases only check driver's version).

I tried to change some ESET options (exclude files/processes/etc.) but with no success.

What I should turn off/change to avoid long processing of this policy?

IIRC in ESET 8 this problem doesn't exist.

• Administrators

Does the issue occur with network drives disabled in the Real-time protection setup?

image.png

Does temporarily pausing or disabling real-time protection make a difference at all?

• Administrators

Does disabling any other protection module help? In case of HIPS, a computer restart will be needed for the change to take effect. If nothing helps, does the issue actually go away after temporarily uninstalling ESET? Is ESET installed both on clients and the server?

Turning off HIPS - no effect

I tried many combinations, and blind shots aren't good solution in my opinion. There are too many possible combinations in ESET to turn on/off to check it all.

We have installed ESET only on workstations, not on servers.

Uninstalling ESET helps - policy is processed quickly (about 2-3 seconds). With ESET - up to one minute.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, MPEC Tarnow said:

Uninstalling ESET helps - policy is processed quickly (about 2-3 seconds). With ESET - up to one minute.

I would recommend opening a support ticket then. It will be necessary to narrow it down to the particular module first by disabling/renaming ESET drivers, one at a time.

Just to make sure, did you try disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup, disabling (not pausing) real-time protection and network protection too?