Eset Full Disk Encryption - decrypt an external USB hard drive

eclipse79
Go to solution Solved by AAndrejko,

Hello, 

I have a simple question. Let's suppose that I have an computer that does not work anymore, it has been encrypted and I need to extract files from its hard drive. Is there a way to decrypt it connecting the HD to another client via USB?

Thanks  

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hello,

There is a way in which you can recover data from a system that is not working. We have a recovery utility that is used to create a bootable USB whereby you can recover a systems data. If a system suffered an catastrophic issue, you could pull out the hard drive, connect it to another device as the only connected disk via an internal header and boot the tool via a USB stick. More information on the tool can viewed here - https://support.eset.com/en/kb7894-eset-encryption-recovery-utility-diagnostics

However the possibility of connecting a hard drive to a system via a USB adapter or dock is something we highly advise against. This is largely due to there being a wide variety of adapters, each of which may behave differently with variations of reliability and how it reads & writes to the disk. Attaching the disk to a system as the only connected disk via an internal header such as M.2 or SATA port would be the only option in this case.

Kind regards,

Ashley 

1 minute ago, eclipse79 said:

Hello, 

I have a simple question. Let's suppose that I have an computer that does not work anymore, it has been encrypted and I need to extract files from its hard drive. Is there a way to decrypt it connecting the HD to another client via USB?

Thanks  

22 minutes ago, AAndrejko said:

Hello,

There is a way in which you can recover data from a system that is not working. We have a recovery utility that is used to create a bootable USB whereby you can recover a systems data. If a system suffered an catastrophic issue, you could pull out the hard drive, connect it to another device as the only connected disk via an internal header and boot the tool via a USB stick. More information on the tool can viewed here - https://support.eset.com/en/kb7894-eset-encryption-recovery-utility-diagnostics

However the possibility of connecting a hard drive to a system via a USB adapter or dock is something we highly advise against. This is largely due to there being a wide variety of adapters, each of which may behave differently with variations of reliability and how it reads & writes to the disk. Attaching the disk to a system as the only connected disk via an internal header such as M.2 or SATA port would be the only option in this case.

Kind regards,

Ashley 

Thanks for you reply!