eudskacs.sys Win64/EaseUS.A detection

Tchenkko

Hello,

This morning, Eset Enpoint (version 9) detects that on my computer :

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eudskacs.sys ; Win64/EaseUS.A

potentially unsafe application;Error while cleaning (Access Denied);An event occurred while the application was trying to access the file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe

C:\Windows\explorer.exe

(54B1C42B69DDD43C32529B13CDEB210C940E744F).;D97B8E73B65974255C4F91B2BEF2B0A1C046F0D6;01/09/2020 13:44:23

When i scan the file "eudskacs.sys" with virustotal, no detection. And when i scan the file with same Eset product on an other PC, no detection.....

Is there a false detection ?

Thanks in advance for help.

• Administrators

It's a vulnerable driver exploited by HermeticWiper (Win32/KillDisk.NCV, more info at https://www.welivesecurity.com/2022/02/24/hermeticwiper-new-data-wiping-malware-hits-ukraine/).

The driver is detected as a potentially unsafe application, ie. not as malware.

Thanks Marcos for your answer.

So, it's not because i have that alert than i am infected ?
Why the detection occurs only this morning ?
I have uninstalled all the EaseUS applications. I don't know why the driver is not detect on my other computer.

• Administrators

The detection was added on Feb 26. While the application is older, it has been just recently misused in the above mentioned Ukrainian attack to corrupt disk partitions.

• Administrators

You are safe if you use the application for legitimate reasons. Without the malware the drivers cannot be misused to harm your data on disks. Even if you got the above malware, it would have the drivers included and would not misuse those that you've had on the disk.