eset disappeared from my computer

• Administrators

The question is why you have McAfee there. Hasn't it been installed recently by replacing ESET during installation?

It is crucial to keep only 1 AV with real-time protection installed at a time.

18 hours ago, Martin Sz said:

A McAfee warning came on that I should scan the computer since I visited an illegal website.

If McAfee has never been installed on your device, this warning is most likely bogus and generated by malware. Doing the scan as instructed will in all likelihood result in the malware completing its installation.

As far as Eset "disappearing" from your PC, verify if Eset sub-folders and files still exist in this directory, C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security.

• 2 months later...

I had eset online scanner portable on D:\, but that folder has suddenly disappeared. Any idea how that could happen? It's not in my recycle bin so it's unlikely i've deleted it by mistake.

I also have a program shortcut in 'start' that points to Local\ESET\ESETonlineScanner\ESETonlineScanner.exe, but ESETonlineScanner.exe is missing from that folder (which seems to have been created by running the programme from the USB).

After this running from usb no malware has been reported. It did report a trojan last time i used it (from D:\) a few days ago, but i believe it deleted it successfully.

A 'senior moment' - or possibly something more sinister? I'm confused and would really appreciate some insight.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, bully said:

I had eset online scanner portable on D:\, but that folder has suddenly disappeared. Any idea how that could happen? It's not in my recycle bin so it's unlikely i've deleted it by mistake.

I also have a program shortcut in 'start' that points to Local\ESET\ESETonlineScanner\ESETonlineScanner.exe, but ESETonlineScanner.exe is missing from that folder (which seems to have been created by running the programme from the USB).

After this running from usb no malware has been reported. It did report a trojan last time i used it (from D:\) a few days ago, but i believe it deleted it successfully.

A 'senior moment' - or possibly something more sinister? I'm confused and would really appreciate some insight.

This is unrelated to the topic you have posted in. Unfortunately it's not clear what the drive D is; is it a removable drive? A RAM drive? A volume on a fixed drive? At any rate, it won't be possible to find out what happened. In order to have your computer protected you should install ESET. Once installed, it will be protected by self-defense from unauthorized manipulation.

Well, the topic looked related in as much as the OP reported ESET disappearing from their computer. I thought i could post to this thread without registering but i misunderstood your notice.

D:\ is a volume on a fixed drive, but i didn't think that was particularly relevant - just wanted to convey that it was not installed on C:\. Sorry to have troubled you.