How Do I Turn Off "Computer Scan" Bubble?

Please read the info below carefully before responding.

I recently upgraded to AV 6 and every time it starts a scan, the task tray notification "Computer Scan" bubble pops up to tell me a computer scan has started. I really don't need to have this pop up every time a scan is started.

I've tried the different UI settings for notifications and it keeps popping up. I only want warnings, errors and critical notifications to pop up so that's how I have it set up. The Display Alerts is supposed to only show messages when threats are discovered or user intervention is needed.

I've spoken to ESET support and they're looking into this but they tell me they can't duplicate on their systems, yet I've been able to duplicate this issue on two of my computers.  One running Windows 7 and the other Windows 8.

Like AV 4, I don't want EVERY notification to pop up as it's very annoying and disruptive.

The Display Alerts should ONLY show when a threat is detected and when user intervention is required. Neither of these are in play so with this enabled I should NOT see this particular pop up.

I have the minimum verbosity for Alerts and notifications set to Warnings. Again, this INFORMATIONAL message should NOT pop up since my minimum is Warnings and NOT Informative.

So I don't see any other settings for this and looks like a possible bug to me, i.e., AV 6 has this particular notification incorrectly "categorized" in the program.

I just confirmed that the stupid thing pops up even with "Display notifications on desktop" unchecked.  We (ESET and I) even disabled all display alerts in the exported settings XML file and imported it and that didn't fix this either.

Is there no one else experiencing this?  I do have a custom scan set up that runs every 60 minutes which only scans memory.  I'd like to know if anyone else out there has this issue too.

If any ESET staff looks at this forum, my original case # for this issue is 996744 but it was later moved to case 1015438 which is the current one.

• Administrators

Doesn't the bubble pop up only when a scheduled scan starts? In such case, it's important to notify the user,otherwise it might be difficult for the user to realize that it's the scan that consumes cpu.

Thanks for replying but that makes no sense.  Why would I want to be bothered if I'm configuring the software NOT to notify me?  I couldn't care less what resources it uses when it starts a scan.  I'm already aware of that since I'm the one who set it up to do it.  Plus, the answer to your question is no.  Other notifications pop up as well even when I've had ALL NOTIFICATIONS TURNED OFF.  There's another one that pops up that says something like "NOD32 Needs your attention, blah, blah, blah" and when I click on it, the UI comes up but there's nothing that actually needs my attention.

The info would be fine if I CHOSE TO SEE IT but I don't.  It's intrusive because every time it pops up, it takes over the desktop by popping up the hidden task bar and gets focus from what I'm working on.  Again, the point here is that I'VE CHOSEN TO TURN OFF these notifications yet the application is NOT honoring the settings.

Like I already mentioned, I had no issue with version 4 as the settings worked as expected.  The solution ESET recommended is to go back to version 4 which I may do soon if no resolution is found for this problem.

Edited by AYColumbia

• Administrators

The issue has been reported to engineers as a bug. V4 didn't pop up a notification when a scheduled scan was started.

• 1 month later...
Guest AYColumbia

As far as I know it has not.  I have not heard of any fix for this yet.  I had to downgrade to version 4 for now because the pop ups are intolerable.

ESET, when are you going to fix this please!!??  I'd like to get back on version 6.

As far as I know it has not.  I have not heard of any fix for this yet.  I had to downgrade to version 4 for now because the pop ups are intolerable.

ESET, when are you going to fix this please!!??  I'd like to get back on version 6.

That was a strange one, i.e., that it didn't recognize me being logged in.

• 3 weeks later...

@ESET,

What's the status on getting a software update with this fix?

[EDIT] I forgot to add that I already updated to the latest version of 6.0.316.0 and the problem still exists.

Edited by AYColumbia

• Administrators

It has not been confirmed as a bug by engineers yet. If it's confirmed to be a bug, it won't be fixed before a service release of v7.

Thanks for the update.  I think I found the cause for this "bug" earlier today and the solution.  I wanted to spend the time monitoring it and it seems to no longer be an issue.

When I installed version 6 and was configuring it, I changed the default value of Administrator under the UI Alerts and notifications for the On mult-user systems, display notifications on the screen of this user.  I had set this to my user instead but it never ocurred to me it would generate all the extra pop ups.  The change back to Administrator did NOT take effect right away, a reboot was required.

I still see this as a bug because the pop-ups, regardless of the selected user, should follow the settings selected.  Hopefully this will help your engineers to pinpoint the problem now.  Maybe create a separate UI notifications settings for the specified user for a future version?  Thank you.

Update to previous "solution."  I just started up my computer and the problem is back.  The computer scan pop up is coming up again on EVERY scan.  I double checked the settings and it is set to Administrator.  I'm not sure why it worked for a while and now it's back behaving as before, i.e., popping up every time. :(

Yes, scheduled.  It's especially annoying at start up because several of the scheduled scans run so the balloon pops up umpteen times.  I also have an hourly memory scan scheduled to check all running processes so it pops up every time that one kicks off too.

Thanks Marcos.

@Marcos,

It looks like it's not just scheduled scans but also "on demand" scans for media like CDs/DVDs and so on.  I inserted a DVD today and the balloon popped up when the media was scanned.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I confirm that inability to disable "Computer scan has been started" bubble balloon tips via ESET advanced notification settings is annoying. Every time time any removable medium is inserted and automatic scan is started, balloon tip is shown. I understand that it informs user, because scanning will consume some system resources, but user should be given an opportunity to choose if she/he want to be informed or not.

Older ESET products had an option to disable balloon tips:

post-4663-0-59959700-1406052293_thumb.png

But ESET Smart Security 6 and 7 lack this option.

However, there is a work around if one wants to remove those annoying balloon tips. ESET balloon tips can be removed from Windows. On Windows 7, in system tray click Customize... and for ESET product choose Hide icon and notifications.

In this link, ESET user also complained about the removal of ability to disable balloon tips:
hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/disable-balloon-notifications-upon-disabling-realtime-protection.343771/

ESET team, please bring back option to disable balloon tips.

post-4663-0-59959700-1406052293_thumb.png

Edited by Hugh Tash