Mac Endpoint Security - Disable Daily Smart Scan - Performance Issue

pronto

Servus Community,

I am experiencing annoying performance issues when switching our Mac Minis to  Big Sur and I believe the virus scanner is responsible. On the last machine the issues were so significant that I uninstalled the virus scanner and since then the system has been running quite stable and fast.

Users report that this slowly disappears after a while and the system can be used halfway normally. But until then they are quite frustrated. I looked at the whole issue for a while and noticed that the virus scanner runs a system smart check after every startup, which can take up to two hours. In the policy I have not found the place where we can disable it and I do not know this from older versions, at least not with Windows.

The question now would be on the one hand, where I can turn off this daily check of the system files and on the other hand, whether there are other tweaks to increase the system performance? I can't really leave it like this and completely without a virus scanner is not recommendable either.

Thx & Bye Tom

• Administrators

Startup scans should not take long; from seconds to 2-3 minutes I'd say. If you have confirmed that temporarily disabling the startup scan tasks in scheduler makes a difference, I'd recommend raising a support ticket with your local ESET distributor for further troubleshooting. Provide logs collected as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 for a start. Could you confirm that no custom on-demand scans are scheduled?

Servus Marcos,

so I found the task scheduler now but only in the GUI of the client itself, not in the policy in the Protect console. They are also all activated and really only took a blink of an eye. Another thing I noticed is that the long Smart Scan only becomes active when I open the Smart Scan dialog in the client GUI. Maybe it only starts when I open the dialog. At least only then the circling radar bar in the ESET icon becomes visible. By the way, you can start this scan several times, which actually makes no sense (See screenshot). At this point I suspect a bug and if it is possible that it runs in the background but if it does not, it is probably not the cause of our issue.

Anyway, I have now uninstalled the virus scanner on the acutely affected client and asked the colleague to work without the virus scanner for a day to find out whether the system can then be used normally again. This will at least tell me whether it was the virus scanner at all, or whether another issue is responsible for the poor performance.

Basically, all users with Big Sur on the Minis with hardware revision 2014 have issues with performance, but not to the level discussed here. This Mac was no longer usable.

Thx & Bye Tom

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-20 um 16.31.42.png