High memory usage help

The memory usage has been increasing for past few weeks and it has gotten to the point where it slows down my laptop completely. Need help to reduce memory usage.

Current Version: 14.2.19.0 (tried updating but it wont find newer version)

eset.PNG

What Task Manager is showing is some process is consuming your available disk space. It certainly isn't Eset; i.e. ekrn.exe, since it is only using .1 MB/s disk space.

However, ekrn.exe memory consumption of 519 MB is excessive if it consistently remains at that level.

Edited by itman

4 minutes ago, Maaza said:

It has been that high for weeks now. Even in gamer mode nothing has changed.

Reboot your PC. Then periodically monitor Eset memory usage increase to try to determine why Eset isn't releasing allocated memory.

1 hour ago, itman said:

Reboot your PC. Then periodically monitor Eset memory usage increase to try to determine why Eset isn't releasing allocated memory.

I have rebooted it several times. I think I have to force update by downloading the latest one since auto update is not updating the software. Maybe that will fix it?

2 hours ago, Maaza said:

Maybe that will fix it?

I just updated to ver. 14.2.24 so it's now available for download via Eset GUI Update option.

• Administrators

How long does it take for ekrn.exe to allocate that amount of memory after a reboot?

If not too long, please carry on as follows:

- in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, enable Memory tracing and click OK
- under Diagnostics enable also Advanced operating system logging and click OK
- reproduce the issue (should not take too long, otherwise the log will be huge)
- stop logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

So i finally got it updated to latest version. Its not hitting 500mb like before, but still at 270ish which was what it was at for last few months. Im not sure if that is still normal

16 minutes ago, Maaza said:

Its not hitting 500mb like before, but still at 270ish which was what it was at for last few months. Im not sure if that is still normal

I really wonder if you and prior other like posters are for some reason observing ekrn.exe working set size; i.e. virtual + real memory allocation versus real memory allocation in Win Task Manager.

Process Explore shows a working set size of approx. 270 MB for ekrn.exe on my device. However, real memory allocation is only 86 MB currently.

I also wonder if posters with this issue have for reason disabled the Win page file on their devices? This would force ekrn.exe to use real memory versus virtual + real memory.

• ESET Insiders

Check whatever is causing your high disk usage. Eset's memory usage can come from unpacking or emulating as it scans whatever the high use disk actions that are occurring.