New updated machines lost their product activation

Go to solution Solved by MichalJ,

Hello,

I used the client task (software install) in order to update from 7x version to 8.1.2031 version.

However, I didn't set it up correctly in the first place and forgot to setup the ESET license on this client task.

I got several (19) laptops with the latest version but all of them show the product is not activated.

I launched a client task Product Activation on those machines but unfortunately, it didn't work :(

On a side note, I also created the all in one file with the license and tested it on 2 machines.

The install worked perfectly except that one of them also lost its license while the first one (mine) still has it... really weird...?

Could you help me reactivate the license for these please? (What am I missing? I'm not an ESET expert so anything could have been wrong here lol)

Thanks!

Romain

Nb: I added the license to the client software install task later so this should not happen again, hopefully ;)

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hello @Romain Dheilly, even if you have just used the software install task, the application should work in a way, that it will keep the license (even if no license was selected in the software install task). I will check with the teams here, whether they have witnessed similar behavior from the other customers.

One of the things that I know tends to happen is, when customer accidentally installs EES and his license is for EEA, that will result in products being not activated, as the license and product do not match. When you have attempted the manual reactivation (vie the software install task), what was written in the task details / executions history? What was the reason for it to fail? 

Dear MichalJ,

Actually, the product activation I used to reactivate the license doesn't show any failure, like it worked perfectly except that when I check on them, it still shows that the product is still not activated (& they still show up in the group "non activated security product").

On a side note, I don't know what EES & EEA are, so I couldn't answer on this part, sorry.

Edited by Romain Dheilly

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Romain Dheilly said:

On a side note, I don't know what EES & EEA are, so I couldn't answer on this part, sorry.

EEA = ESET Endpoint Antivirus
EES = ESET Endpoint Security

As Michal wrote, if you send a software install task and do not select a license, the existing license will be kept. This is recommend unless you must change the license key, e.g. after you have upgraded to a higher-range ESET product (ie. from EEA to EES). If you select a license key (even if it's same), deactivation will be performed first.

• Administrators
On 8/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, Romain Dheilly said:

I got several (19) laptops with the latest version but all of them show the product is not activated.

I launched a client task Product Activation on those machines but unfortunately, it didn't work :(

Is there an activation error logged in the ESET event log on these clients?

Are you able to activate such client manually by entering the license key in the activation window in Endpoint?

The Endpoint Security only shows "Security Alert: Product not activated

The security ESET product is not activated and your computer is not protected. Buy a license to receive the updates or activate the ESET security product if you already have a license" (sorry, it's my translation from French to English, it might not be exact).

Where could I find the event log please so I could copy paste here?

Concerning the manual activation, I don't know where/how to find the license key... could you please help me find it on the webconsole maybe?

Edited by Romain Dheilly

I found the license key and tried to enter it manually but it failed saying:

Activation Failure:

The license and the product do not match.

After checking, MichalJ was right.

The client task install was for EES while the license is for EEA (which explains why the all in installer worked on the other hand).

Now I'm trying to check if I can remove the EES to install the EEA on those machines instead.

Thanks

Kind regards,

Romain

Hello,

After changing the client task from EES to EEA, this did not solve the issue. The machines with EES still have EES and won't install EEA instead.

I also tried to create a client task uninstall EES and targeted those laptops but it failed miserably...

Could you help me and tell me what is the best solution to remove the EES from those laptops and install EEA instead on them please?

Thanks

KInd regards,

Romain

• Administrators

Please try uninstalling EES on one machine manually. If that fails, we'll need an MSI log created by running the installation msi (e.g. from folder C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Installer) with the "/lvx* uninstall.log" parameter. Then provide uninstall.log.

Hello Marcos,

I just tried it but the process asks for a password I don't have / can't find... :( (and was missing from the uninstall client task which may explain why it didn't work).

Is there a way to retrieve that password from EMSC for exemple?

• Administrators

As long as agent is installed and communicates with the ESET PROTECT server, you can apply an Endpoint policy which will disable password protection. You don't have to know the password when disabling it via policy.

Thanks Marcos, the policy worked well.

The uninstall client task worked quite well too.

However, the install client task doesn't seem to work on every laptop... I got a spare one with me which never gets the install and I don't know why (it has the lastet agent version installed though).

• Administrators

If the software install task doesn't work and it's the downloaded msi installer which is failing, the install log software-install.log (https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/81/en-US/fs_agent_connection_troubleshooting.html) should contain more detailed information about the cause.

Thanks Marcos for pointing out the log location.

I found the laptop had this error:

failed to process http request 20014

I pushed a policy (on this laptop as a test) and changed the server from hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1 to hxxp://repositorynocdn.eset.com/v1 and the install worked this time.

Thanks!