EIS 14.2.19 Product Update bug

Hi,

My desktop PC is running Eset Internet Security v14.2.19 (64 bit) but every time I boot up the PC, a small blue dot continuously goes around the ESET logo and when I hover over this, it states 'update in progress', despite product already being up to date. Granted, its not a huge bug but can someone from ESET look into this please? Thanks

Capture.jpg%20

Capture2.jpg

Edited by psychopomp1

• Administrators

ESET updates and runs a startup scan when you start Windows. This is when an animated ESET icon appears in the system tray by the clock and the animation should typically stop within a few seconds unless the downloaded update is bigger or the startup scan task is taking longer.

23 minutes ago, psychopomp1 said:

but every time I boot up the PC, a small blue dot continuously goes around the ESET logo and when I hover over this, it states 'update in progress', despite product already being up to date.

There are three basic types of updating activity performed by Eset; signature, module, and new release updating.

When you observe the animated circular arrow showing within the Eset desktop toolbar icon, this would be indicative of some type of Eset updating or scanning being performed. Assuming your PC has been idle for sometime prior to a system boot, the activity you are observing is either signature or module updating taking place; most likely signature updating. Eset signature update downloads occur ever 3 - 4 hours or so depending on geographic location.  

Edited by itman

Thanks guys. I'm well aware that the animation usually indicates a startup scan, product/signature update etc but in my case it seems to last indefinitely, ie until the PC is shut down, whether after 10 mins or after 5 hours despite startup scan having been completed and product (and virus definitions) being up to date. Even when i click on the 'update' button within the software and ESET shows the latest date/time of updates, the animation continues. I'm guessing this is a bug, albeit a minor one? 

1 hour ago, psychopomp1 said:

my case it seems to last indefinitely, ie until the PC is shut down, whether after 10 mins or after 5 hours despite startup scan having been completed and product (and virus definitions) being up to date.

This has also happened to me and others as evidenced by number of forum postings on the issue. The current recommended workaround is to restart your system when Eset updating is hung. This will usually allow the current updating to complete w/o issue upon reboot. It also might stop the update hanging activity. It hasn't recurred on my device since doing so.

The problem is the issue is intermittent for most. If this activity is consistent on your device, do as @Marcos requested in another thread:

Please provide:

1. EsetPerf.etl created after enabling advanced OS logging in the advanced setup -> tools ->diagnostics from an update when it "hangs". Is the system responsive at that point or you can only perform a hard reset?

2. An ekrn dump generated via advanced setup -> tools ->diagnostics -> Create when the update is "hung".

Edited by itman