New Setup EIS 14.0.22 first scan or complete scan process cannot show current progress

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

In Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.928, EIS first scan stucks in a specific file in gui, in gui the file number won't change after scan about 1700 files, every time I try it will stuck in a different specific file.

However it still running in windows task manager, custom scan ui works normally,it will show the current progress.

Custom scan.png

complete scan 0.00.56.png

complete scan in 0.03.01.png

• Administrators

The elapsed time is quite low (14 min. at maximum). Could you please let the scan run for a few hours and then check if the number of scanned files has grown?

You could also try disabling archives so that the scan runs faster.

If the number of scanned files doesn't increase even after a longer time, please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

Maybe I think it's a bug!

In the screenshot, some task runnning normally. Some even stuck for some reasons.

Some custom scan work normally.

Some details to provide:

1.stuck task only have CPU consumption no disk read activity

2.others work normally with CPU and disk read together

Bug.png

Bug1.png

• Administrators

What targets did you select for the custom scans? Were also the registry and WMI selected? Were the same folder/files selected? Are you able to reproduce the issue even if you scan only one particular folder, e.g. c:\program files when the initial scan is not running?

First time i select system memory,eis stuck. Again eis works normally.

select specific floder or disk also works well, it seems only complete scan will stuck almost every time i click.

part scan sometimes work, sometimes also stuck

Initial scan or computer complete scan stuck at the moment of this blue line appears

Part scan isn't affected by this blue line.

EIS bug report.png

Edited by NinjaMuzi
change some words

• Administrators
  • Solution

Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor for further troubleshooting of the issue.

10 hours ago, NinjaMuzi said:

In Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.928, EIS first scan stucks in a specific file in gui, in gui the file number won't change after scan about 1700 files, every time I try it will stuck in a different specific file.

Most of the screen shots show scan screen "stuck" at 1700 file mark. This most likely is due to Eset scanning WMI repository contents. It treats the respository as one aggregate file.

However, when I use custom scan only choose WMI, eset wokrs normally.

Only initial scan, computer scan, and custom scan (PS:choose all parts) will trigger this problem.

1 hour ago, NinjaMuzi said:

However, when I use custom scan only choose WMI, eset wokrs normally.

I just repeated this. Refer to the below screen shot. Note that Objects scanned count remains at zero.

What is happening in the examples you noted is Eset's scan initially scans 1700 files. It then starts scanning the WMI repository. While the WMI repository is being scanned, the Objects scanned count remains at 1700. This is what you are observing.

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.76c32bddd4f6f1327ce471b20ea6bb1c.png

Edited by itman

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, itman said:

While the WMI repository is being scanned, the Objects scanned count remains at 1700. This is what you are observing.

This is actually expected behavior ("expected" from the perspective of the current design of the wmi scanner).

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

This is actually expected behavior ("expected" from the perspective of the current design of the wmi scanner).

this picture is running not stuck bro, i just put this one campared with other picture in which eset is stuck

So my question is always complete scan stuck not custom or part scan.

Now i find another problem: single system registry scan also stuck in my PC

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, NinjaMuzi said:

I tried scan WMI only again, it works normally. Only complete scan will appear this problem, only!

Actually when scanning WMI, the counter is refreshed only in certain time intervals. I've run a WMI scan and after 14s the scanner showed 0 objects scanned which is in concordance of how the scanner works.

image.png

So now i can make sure system registry complete scan stuck in my PC

The same holds true for registry scanning. Therefore you should make tests with the registry and WMI not selected as scan targets.

4 minutes ago, NinjaMuzi said:

The same holds true for registry scanning. Therefore you should make tests with the registry and WMI not selected as scan targets.

Ok, i will try that. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Actually when scanning WMI, the counter is refreshed only in certain time intervals. I've run a WMI scan and after 14s the scanner showed 0 objects scanned which is in concordance of how the scanner works.

image.png

Sorry to bother you again, my eset scanned system registry for 10 mins already. Is it expected?

I will also note that the same non-updating  of Objects scanned count occurs when Eset is scanning certain compressed file types. Below is a screen shot of Eset scanning a Win 10 Feature Update .iso file.

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.6e9394f1893eb85cdb8855d75352d4f0.png

3 minutes ago, itman said:

I will also note that the same non-updating  of Objects scanned count occurs when Eset is scanning certain compressed file types. Below is a screen shot of Eset scanning a Win 10 Feature Update .iso file.

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.6e9394f1893eb85cdb8855d75352d4f0.png

I know what you means but can you explain complete scan isn't progress at all during 14 mins

8 minutes ago, NinjaMuzi said:

Sorry to bother you again, my eset scanned system registry for 10 mins already. Is it expected?

No. My Eset Custom registry scan took 35 secs.:

Eset_Reg_Scan.png.e0394b1980ee77caba519a1661ff0876.png