User definied static groups empty

Go to solution Solved by pronto,

Hi Community,

today all the static groups we created are suddenly empty. Except for two groups, the Apple macOS devices are apparently still there and two Windows devices are still there but all others are not displayed in the ESET Protect console. I still see all computers in the dynamic group where all machines are and when I look at the properties of my workstation for example, none of our policies are applied.

What happened?

Thx & Bye Tom

• Solution

I have now contacted the ESET hotline about this issue. The reason for the disappearance of the clients was an unplanned execution of the Static Group Synchronization server task. This task moved all AD clients into the AD Organisation Unit folder structure. Why this task was executed is unclear. I then had to manually move the clients back into the groups created for them, now hopefully everything is back in the place where it is supposed to be.

Summary: In principle no software error, so also magically no fix available.

Thx & Bye Tom

• Administrators

I'd recommend using audit logs to find out what happened during the period when the computers were removed from the static groups. You can filter logs by time or audit domain for instance, e.g. to filter out audit logs pertaining to server tasks that might have removed the machines.

Hi Marcos,

the audit log says that the task was modified on 26.03 in the afternoon. On this day we have reinstalled our two Exchange servers with a service provider. Afterwards, we could not activate the two mail security instances, but this was simply due to the fact that the mail security license was not checked in the activation task. Probably the task was modified by mistake while searching for the problem. When installing system updates, the server was restarted and the problem took its course...

Thx & Bye Tom