Herd-Protect

chrlshlmn

Hi Chris  :)

One thing I have noticed is that their own heuristic engine seem to be pretty good at picking up PUA's of all kinds. 

It uses no less than 68 engines, so one have to look out for False-positives even though they do everything they can to keep the FP detections low. Whether it is better then HitmanPro is up to each person to decided, HitmanPro may have less engines in their cloud but they also use several in-house developed detection technologies.

Herd-protect aim to get a real-time version out but I would never run a software like that in real-time. The amount of engines an AV have is irrelevant to me. It's not the amount of engines that makes a product good.

IMO, H-P is a type of software that is good to have in your toolbox. Just like Malwarebytes, though I rank Malwarebytes higher of course.   ;)

Edited by SweX

If you want to try it out then don't let me prevent you from doing that. I am just one of those people that don't follow the "more is better" trend. When it comes to have 23 different on-demand scanners, or using a real-time AV with 3 engines that's all.  :D

Though if you already use MBAM Prem and HitmanPro, I wouldn't say you need additional scanners, but you could always have it as an "just in case" tool. And I assume it have right-click functionality so one should be able to righ-click and scan if you have a suspicious file or similar. 

Thank you SweX.O no I weigh the pros and cons.I listen to your input and suggestions. B)I tried it yesterday and wasn't too impressed.I wanted other opinions.Thank you very much.

Edited by chrlshlmn

Ah ok I understand that's good.  ;)  

It will probably improve with time as it's still a young product in its early days. But it's an interesting concept none the less, and the man behind H-P is not really new in the sec industry.

Cheers  :)

Who's behind it?

herdProtect is a Reason Software Company project, powered by Andrew Newman. With nearly 20 years of experience behind him, Andrew is a seasoned developer and entrepreneur in the anti-malware industry and was the co-founder and chief software architect for GIANT Company Software, acquired by Microsoft Corporation. GIANT Company was a leader in the anti-spyware and anti-spam industry pioneering many innovations that used machine learning and behavior analysis over distributed networks to rapidly combat malware. This network later became known as SpyNet and still serves as the backbone to Microsoft’s secure computing initiatives. Andrew served as Lead Security Program Manager at Microsoft, and lead in the development and release of Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Windows Defender, now a part of the Windows Operating System. Andrew also holds a number of patents around distributed computing, data aggregation and information discovery. By leveraging his skill set within the AV industry and his passion for statistical analytics and data sciences, herdProtect was born.

Edited by SweX

I like their knowledge base. hxxp://www.herdprotect.com/knowledgebase.aspx

Even a little more so then ESET's threat database.

Sometimes i'm disappointing not seeing extreme detailed info about the threats. However, i understand one of the reasons exactly why it isn't included, which i will keep to myself. (lol)

Yes it's great Arakasi! Haha I just checked, and as usual when I visit that site the "latest file detections" list on the right side show plenty of PUA detections. It just shows that PUA's is a real problem, even if they're not really seen as "malicious".  :)

Edited by SweX