Updating the detection engine for older products

I don't think the manufacturer can give an official answer, but will the detection engine of the old product be updatable all the time?

For example, I am using ESET Endpoint Security V4.5 for Microsoft Windows Server and it is still updatable.

The detection engine file is .nup, which is the same for both Ver4.x and Ver7.x. You can download it from the support site.

We are considering upgrading our product, but since we are running in a mission-critical environment, the upgrade is still going to take some time.

If you have any unofficial information, please let me know.

People in ESET, please.

• Administrators

While module updates are still provided for legacy products, we don't guarantee them and may stop providing updates without a notice.

I just wonder why you keep v4.5 which can work well only on Windows Server 2003. On newer server systems it may cause BSOD. Moreover, v4.5 pales in comparison with newer versions of EFSW in terms of malware protection so having it on a server just for the sake of a false sense of security is not recommended.

• Administrators

Please remember that a correct procedure for upgrading legacy products is as follows:
- uninstall the legacy product
- reboot the machine
- install the latest version of ESET

• Administrators

Since there are big differences in settings of v4 and v7+, it doesn't make much sense to preserve v4 settings. Moreover, some settings that increase protection were disabled by default in older versions so it's doesn't make sense to keep them disabled after upgrade.

Also installation over a legacy version works, however, you should restart the server asap to minimize the chances of getting BSOD due to very old drivers being loaded after upgrade.