How do you update/upgrade ESET Endpoint Security/File Security and ESET Managment Agent automatically?

As title says, i can't seem to get this to work out.

I end up having to run it manually, and even though i create a new deploy agent it's still complains that it's old and i have to upgrade the client afterwards.

Think it installs 7.x something, but the latest is 8.x.

Same goes for Endpoint.

I am guessing i am missing something?

• ESET Staff

Hello, for the sake of installing the latest agent, you first need to update your server to the latest version, as the agent installers are linked to the server version. If the server is already updated to ESET PROTECT V8, all agents that you will create / deploy, will be on V8 as well. Updating of previous agents can be done using "components upgrade task", which you can find among the client task in section "ESET PROTECT", once your server is updated. 

With regards to the client, even if your agent / server is on older version, you can choose a particular installer version both in installer, and in software install task. As those are all "version specific", you currently can´t create an installation package that will be always using the latest available version.

However, as of Endpoint V8, we have introduced uPCU auto update functionality, when you will be able to configure your endpoints to automatically download, and prepare the latest installation version, and apply it upon next computer restart. However, your endpoints will have to be upgraded to V8, in order to enable this functionality. Once we will release next server release of Endpoint V8, we will also roll it out using this method. 

That worked great, i apparantly never remade the installer after upgrading the server!
I think it works very well now, even with File Security,

before the agents only seemed to install Endpoint Security for some reason.

You mean the installer that's basically Endpoint or File Security?
I used those a lot cause it was the only sure way that seemed to work, but now i get why.

Hmm, where do i enable that, would love to have it always go for the latest update and install it whenever a restart occurs.

Also i got a question about active directory syncing, not really sure how to set it up.

Or well i got it up and running, but it's a bit out of sync, some old OU exists for example.

If possible i would love it to update it from time to time and if a computer is disabled or removed that it removes eset as well.
At least stop managing and using a license.

Thanks!

On 1/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, MichalJ said:

However, as of Endpoint V8, we have introduced uPCU auto update functionality, when you will be able to configure your endpoints to automatically download, and prepare the latest installation version, and apply it upon next computer restart. However, your endpoints will have to be upgraded to V8, in order to enable this functionality. Once we will release next server release of Endpoint V8, we will also roll it out using this method. 

Wow, this perhaps is the most wanted feature of ESET remote administration tools ever.

2 hours ago, karlisi said:

Wow, this perhaps is the most wanted feature of ESET remote administration tools ever.

So before it really was stuck at whatever version it was unless you pushed it out manually?

Till now I must create new upgrade task for every new version manually. Or edit existing task, changing package to latest available.

Edited by karlisi

9 hours ago, karlisi said:

Till now I must create new upgrade task for every new version manually. Or edit existing task, changing package to latest available.

Ah, then i wasn't alone in that.
I really don't get the task part at times, cause if i just wanted to update, activate or something, it would create a new task or something, so i  end up with a huge list of tasks which basically just is "activate product, 1 computer" etc.

Which makes me wonder, is it possible to auto activate those that aren't activated?
and also install the agent if it sees a computer from the ad which doesn't have it?

For not activated products I am using dynamic group, I think it's built in, 'Not activated security product'. Or at least such template by default is provided by ESET.