Setup reboot email notifications to users who's system requires a reboot

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to send out email alerts to users who's systems require a reboot after an antivirus update. Unfortunately in our company we are unable to determine when the best time to force a reboot to computers is. Most computers are laptops that get taken home and are off when not in use. Since there is no way to push a reboot to computers that can be scheduled, like a windows update, I would really like another way to keep on-top of these reboots. Any suggestions are welcome to help us tackle the ESET reboots.

ESMC V. 7.2

ESET Endpoint Antivirus V. 8.0

You can set a scheduled reboot. Set a client task for shutdown computer, check the box for reboot. In the trigger setup, you can specify a date/time. I have to do it after most updates. In the case of a laptop, it will run it the next time they connect.

Edited by LesRMed

I apologize for not being clear enough. I meant that you cannot send the reboot command to the computers and have the users schedule the reboot. Like I said in my original post, we do not know when a good time to reboot someone's computer is as they are all doing different things. If I sent the reboot command to computers after hours, there is no guarantee that there are not some users still working and for the rest, their computers would be off. Due to the pandemic and people working from home, we have team meetings first thing in the morning through Microsoft Teams. If I sent the reboot over night, more than half our users would be forced into a reboot right at the start of their meetings. Its not something that we can be doing to our staff regularly.

• ESET Staff

Hello,

What you can do, you can identify such computers in a dynamic group template, with the following conditions.

Then, you can configure a notification, that will trigger anytime, when a new computer enters / exists the dynamic group (you can set throttling, so it won´t trigger too often, and spam your inbox). However, EP / ESMC can´t send the notification to every user, that has the reboot pending. 

What I would suggest, is to use "display message task", that will show a native Windows popup, informing the user about the need for the reboot, as on the last screenshot. 

Please note, that we are aware of the inconvenient behavior of the "restart when needed" button, within the software install task, and we would like to adjust it in the future versions, with the possibility to schedule a reboot window, with proactive notifications.

Last but not least, it might be possible to use a "run command" task, to execute a reboot with specific parameters, for example at a specific time. However I do not posses the knowledge of a particular command example. 

display message task.jpg

dynamkic group triggered notification.jpg

Dynamic Group.jpg

Thank you for the information. I look forward to the future feature of being able to have the end users schedule a reboot window. If anyone knows how to write the command to schedule a reboot time that would also be helpful. I will take this information and think on how I wish to approach this problem for our users.