Config export/import. Potential solution for "No usable rule found" records, firewall in Interactive mode"

Hi,

this is a follow up on topic 

which I started.

Solution proposed by @itman specifically "If I recollect, a rule is added at the end of the rule set when Interactive mode select that is in essence an ask rule for any inbound and outbound network traffic" didn't work: I didn't find any rule added when firewall goes into Interactive mode.

However his message helped to come to potential solution: when exporting-importing ESET product settings including firewall rules, the versions of source software and target one should match. If they don't it worth either to:

1. if source computer is still working then update ESET product there to the same major version as at target, and only then do export from source, then import to target

or 2. install the same version of ESET product on target as it was at source, then import data to target, then update ESET product at target to desired version.

It worth doing update of each major version to the next major version, step by step, e.g. 12 to 13, then 13 to 14, not 12 to 14.

Can someone confirm if format of settings storage in XML for import/export purposes is actually different for different versions of ESET NOD32 ISS, e.g. for 11 and 14?

Can someone confirm the versions of source and target software should match when exporting/importing settings, and mismatch could cause issues with configuration like firewall functionality in Interactive mode as described in 

Moderators: if versions should really match when exporting-importing settings then this message might be the solution, and it worth merging it with that topic for all who may search for it in future.

Edited by tjack

9 hours ago, tjack said:

Can someone confirm the versions of source and target software should match when exporting/importing settings, and mismatch could cause issues with configuration 

I have asked in the past if an Eset export file created on a prior version or within version release would cause issues when imported to a later Eset version/release. I was told by @Marcos that this would not be an issue. Additionally, I have done this multiple times in the past w/o any apparent issues from upgraded version/release. However, I don't use the firewall in Interactive mode. As such, I never created any rules in this mode.