EIS 14 Intermittently blocks certain websites

Hello!

After a reinstall of ESET Internet Security and an in-place upgrade of Windows, I set my firewall up for Interactive use and as soon as I rebooted the OS, while allowing all Internet communications requested by programs thorugh ESET, sometimes some websites get blocked by ESET Firewall.

They either render incompletely, either they don't load at all. Firefox reports that the server I'm trying to access cannot be found. Disabling ESET Firewall fixes this issue, but no setting inside the program does. I tried disabling all rules created by me through the ESET prompts, switching to Automatic Firewall. Sites get blocked even while in Firewall Learning Mode.

Another thing that fixes the issue is reinstalling EIS, but it seems like it reappears after I toggle the Interactive Mode for the firewall.

Any help for diagnosing this issue? To me, it seems like an issue with EIS 14, this issue hasn't been present with older EIS versions on my system. Other systems activated with my license use Automatic Mode, so I cannot test further.

I downgraded to EIS 13. This time, without even switching to Interactive Firewall, ESET started blocking most websites as soon as I installed it.

I'm not sure what I did to deserve total silence, but can I get some help? It's been more than a month since I have started experiencing problems.

I really don't want to switch protection solutions, I've been using ESET for almost 10 years, but if this is the kind of support I'm getting, then I will be switching.

• Administrators

Please uninstall ESET and install v14 with default settings. Should certain websites be blocked, carry on as follows:
- enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for tech. support
- reboot the machine
- reproduce the issue
- stop logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

20 hours ago, antoniu200 said:

Firefox reports that the server I'm trying to access cannot be found.

Does this issue only occur in FireFox? Temporarily use a different browser and determine if the issue persists. If it doesn't, the issue is with Firefox.

Firefox by default now enables DNS over HTTPS; i.e. DoH, using Clouldflare DNS servers. You might have an issue connecting to those servers in Romania for some reason. You can temporarily disable DoH in FireFox and determine if that solves the issue.

21 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please uninstall ESET and install v14 with default settings. Should certain websites be blocked, carry on as follows:
- reboot the machine
- reproduce the issue
- stop logging

Thank you for your response, will come back with some logs in about 9 hours, as right now I don't have the time to install and reinstall ESET.

20 hours ago, itman said:

Does this issue only occur in FireFox? Temporarily use a different browser and determine if the issue persists. If it doesn't, the issue is with Firefox.

Firefox by default now enables DNS over HTTPS; i.e. DoH, using Clouldflare DNS servers. You might have an issue connecting to those servers in Romania for some reason. You can temporarily disable DoH in FireFox and determine if that solves the issue.

That setting is already disabled, using Firefox 83.0. It may be enabled if the configuration file for Firefox was created using some new version, but the version of Firefox that created the configuration file on this system was from ~2 years ago.

Anyway, what makes you think it could be Firefox, since the issue doesn't exist on any other system I own (all of them use ESET in combination with Firefox) and the issue disappears as soon as I uninstall ESET?

6 hours ago, antoniu200 said:

Anyway, what makes you think it could be Firefox, since the issue doesn't exist on any other system I own (all of them use ESET in combination with Firefox) and the issue disappears as soon as I uninstall ESET?

Then I would say the issue resides in the FireFox version used on this system.

On this PC and to start, temporarily disable Eset SSL/TLS protocol scanning. Report back if this resolves the issue with Firefox on this system.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, Marcos said:

- reboot the machine
- reproduce the issue
- stop logging

Sorry I didn't post logs yesterday, didn't get the time.

However, what I did is I uninstalled EIS 13 normally, without using ESET Uninstaller, but from the Control Panel, and installed EIS 14 right over. After switching the Firewall to Interactive Mode and opening Firefox, I immediately got a request from ESET to allow incoming and outgoing connections with Firefox, request I didn't receive when I experienced the aforementioned issue. The version of ESET is 14.0.22.0, the version of ESET installed when I had the issue was 14.0.22.0 (also present on the latest version of EIS 13) and the version of Firefox this has appeared on is 83.0. Since yesterday, when the issue was last present, the installation of Firefox has not been changed or updated, no setting has been toggled on or off.

In the end, I have absolutely no clue what caused it, was solved it or what I should do to not experience it again. If somebody else experiences this problem, I hope they'll be able to offer more details and logs. Unfortunately, I cannot, since the issue seem to have gone away on its own?!

Would it help if I collected the logs anyway, or do logs get deleted if ESET is uninstalled?

24 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Since logs must be collected at the point when the issue occurs, providing them at this point would be of no use.

Well, a quick update. While the problem mentioned in this thread disappeared (or at least so it seems), the High Disk Usage problem re-appeared. I will soon post new logs with "Details for Tech Support" enabled on my other thread, please take a look at them.