Internet Security Installation fail's

Hello, I'm trying to install Eset Internet Security on a laptop with windows 8.1 and i'm getting an error "MSI 1923" at the end while the installer abort's the changes. I searched older topics at your forum pages and  this error might be "Service 'ESET Service' (ekrn) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.". I tried to run the exe with adminatrotor privileges but no luck. Older Internet security from another security software uninstalled successfully . Then i run 'Sysinspector" from eset and i saved the log file which i will attach it here. I submit a ticket at your support but since a have not get an answer back.

Thank you, Jim

SysInspector-201010-203728.zip

• Administrators

The Procmon log is most important. Please compress it, upload the archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

• Administrators

From the logs I was unable to determine the root cause of the error. It seems that the Procmon log was generated after collecting ELC log so it's not aligned with any of the install logs that you provided.

Please carry on as follows:
- start logging with Procmon
- run the ESET installer
- when installation fails, save the Procmon log
- collect fresh logs with ELC
- provide the latest Procmon and ELC logs.

Hello Marcos. I don't want to spam the thread, but any idea where the fault is from the log files? And another question: What is the time period that the licence key is valid for installation after the purchase of the product? I purchased it a week ago and i try to install it this Saturday 10/10/2020.

Thank you, Jim

• Administrators

Unfortunately I was unable to find the root cause of the issue after spending more than an hour analyzing logs. The error reads (translated): Error 1923. Failed to install 'ESET Service' (ekrn). Make sure you have sufficient permissions to install system services.

However, the Procmon log didn't yield any permission issues related to writing to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn. According to the log the path already existed when the installation started. Have you tried removing ESET in safe mode using the ESET Uninstall tool and installing it from scratch?

Also refer to this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/23035-installation-failed-error-code-msi1923/ .

Of note is my last posting in that thread about having UAC set to its default level. If you have disabled UAC, you won't be getting prompted to elevate to admin level which is necessary to install Eset.

@Marcos After the installer 'said' that the error 'MSI 1923' occurred, i opened windows 8.1 built-in task manager and there was non Eset applications running at all and that might indicates that the suite was not installed. Then i restarted the laptop and windows defender was active. I tried again to install eset internet security but no luck, i got the same error 'MSI 1923'. Yesterday when i run the eset log collector it informed me, that 'not eset products have installed' on the computer and i had still opened the eset's window with the errorthat  occurred and i started it to collect the data. I will try to run Eset uninstaller at safe mode.

@ itman The user have administrator privileges and the UAC is set to the default setting's and everytime i tried to install it from scratch it asked if i want to allow the eset's installer to start.

Thank you both, for your answers.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:33 AM, jim2020 said:

Older Internet security from another security software uninstalled successfully

Another possibility is trace elements of your previous installed security solution still exist. It is not uncommon that when running the solution's uninstaller via Control Panel option to have this happen.

Eset has a list of other security product uninstallers here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb146-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-common-windows-antivirus-software . It is best to check your previous security solution vendor web site for any "clean" tool that may exist and use it. These clean utilities are designed to remove all residual software traces.

Hello! I tried to uninstall the previous software with their uninstaller (Symantec's) and 'it said' that an error occurred. Then i tried via Control panel and unistalled it sucessfully, even windows defender activated, that indicates to me (i'm not an expert) that the uninstall went well. I rebooted the system and i started the eset installer. I tried to install it 4 to 5 times with rebooting the system among the fail message, even as 'Run this program as an administrator' but it didn't work. Maybe i did something wrong at the proccess. Last but not least after the multiple fail's, i run the eset's av remover tool and didn't show any AV software at all, to be installed on the system.

Hello again! I run the ESET uninstall tool on safe mode but it only remove the remnants of the installer if i'm correct. The internet security was not listed for uninstall. I restarted the laptop in normal mode and i tried one more time to install it even with the option 'Run this program as an administrator' but again no luck. The installation failed again, this time it gave me the error 'MSI 1920'. I restarted again the computer and windows defender is active. During the installation of the eset the windows defender shouldn't be disable?