Best way to Update ESMC?

I am currently running

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0)

ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.429.0)

that i originally installed with all in one installer using any default options. Looking for cleanest/best way to upgrade to newest ESMC version. Should i just download and run the current all in one installer to upgrade? DO i need to back anything up? I may take a VMWare snapshot so i can revert in event of failure..

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to create snapshot of ESMC if possible. Also be aware that actually database backup is crucial, as it contains all data.

Regarding upgrade method, as mentioned in previous comment, using in-product upgrade is the simplest, but it has few drawbacks:

• it does not upgrade Apache Tomcat that is hosting console
  • it does not upgrade database

therefore in your case (upgrade from older version) it might be more suitable to use latest all-in-one installer, which do support also upgrade of ESMC and selected third-party components.

If i do use the all-in-one installer...is it an easy next next next or obvious answers to questions presented during the install? dont want to start it and get halfway thru not knowing how to anser an install option question

• ESET Staff
13 minutes ago, slarkins said:

If i do use the all-in-one installer...is it an easy next next next or obvious answers to questions presented during the install? dont want to start it and get halfway thru not knowing how to anser an install option question

Unfortunately I am not sure, but I would expect that upgrade does not require any specific parameters, except confirmations.

Possible limitations of upgrade process are described in documentation: https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/72/en-US/upgrade_allinone.html but there is no detailed description of process as a whole.

I am confused on what or if i should include SQL server express option for the upgrade...i currently have SQL Express 2014 which was installed the current ESMC install..should i leave the option to upgrade SQL express upgrade enabled? Looking at image in your link, there liiks to be  6 checkboxes available for components to upgrade...will those check boxes automatically populate based on what i currently have installed?

• ESET Staff
12 minutes ago, slarkins said:

I am confused on what or if i should include SQL server express option for the upgrade...i currently have SQL Express 2014 which was installed the current ESMC install..should i leave the option to upgrade SQL express upgrade enabled? Looking at image in your link, there liiks to be  6 checkboxes available for components to upgrade...will those check boxes automatically populate based on what i currently have installed?

Check-boxes should be populated based on present of components and also preselected or disabled in case of already-u-to-date component versions. Feel free to check it as it will be shown before actual upgrade process is started.

Regarding SQL Server, I would recommend to upgrade to SQL Server 2019 in case your operating system do support upgrade to this version (I hope you won't be offered upgrade in case it is not supported by OS). There are currently no technical limitations or issues with version 2014, but it has reached it's end-of-life and is no longer supported by Microsoft, which might cause issues in the future. That is why we currently install it only on systems where version 2019 is not supported (If I recall correctly, minimal requirement is Windows Server 2016).

Is this really a critical aspect going from 7.0 to 7.2? It looks like the original 7.0 instance installed SQL 2014 express.. Is upgrading to SQL 2019 and upgrading tomcat important?

• ESET Staff
4 hours ago, slarkins said:

Is this really a critical aspect going from 7.0 to 7.2? It looks like the original 7.0 instance installed SQL 2014 express.. Is upgrading to SQL 2019 and upgrading tomcat important?

Upgrade of SQL Server is not required from technical perspective and ESMC 7.2 will work without any issues. Regarding tomcat7, the same applies, but I am not sure of minimal supported tomcat7 version. Is there actually any specific problem with upgrading (reinstalling) tomcat? Asking because it is not so problematic, and even complete re-installation of tomcat+ESMC console is matter of a few minutes, except that certificate configuration might be retained.

just trying to minimize the risk of failure during upgrade...if i choose the all in one installer to upgrade emsc, tomcat and sql, the upgrade process will keep the current cert config?

• ESET Staff
17 hours ago, slarkins said:

just trying to minimize the risk of failure during upgrade...if i choose the all in one installer to upgrade emsc, tomcat and sql, the upgrade process will keep the current cert config?

Yes, tomcat configuration should be retained, but probably only settings there were set previously by ESMC installer,i.e. custom settings will be probably lost. But certificate should remain original.