How to speed up scan?

Hi

Every once in a while ESET File Sec. does a scan of all the files on the file server. However this takes about 36 hours for the 100 million files and it is reading them at around 500 - 700 files/s.
The array is capable of reading about 10 to 20 times of that data on a pure 100% random read - so ESET could go a lot faster and the CPU load is not even 100% on a single thread.

Is there any way to release the brakes of ESET a little bit to get that finished within a day?

• Administrators

It would be theoretically possible to speed up scanning by splitting files on separate physical disks and running several scans of each disk at once. Reading a lot of data from various locations on a disk would rather slow down scanning since the harddisk heads would have to move back and forth to read from various files at a time on the disk.

Try disabling scanning of archives and run complete scans less frequently.

12 hours ago, Marcos said:

It would be theoretically possible to speed up scanning by splitting files on separate physical disks and running several scans of each disk at once. Reading a lot of data from various locations on a disk would rather slow down scanning since the harddisk heads would have to move back and forth to read from various files at a time on the disk.

Try disabling scanning of archives and run complete scans less frequently.

Hi Marcos

Its all SSD and I am sure that the disks aren't the limiting factor here.

Can I change the standard interval via ESMC or do I need to go to the GUI?

• Administrators

By default no on-demand scan task is scheduled. If you scheduled one via ESMC, you can adjust its parameters in the appropriate policy that you created and applied on clients. If you scheduled the task on a client, configure it via Endpoint's gui.