Blocked countries

• Administrators

Since the number of countries in the world is low compared to the number of IP addresses on a blacklist for instance, I don't think that even blocking all countries but one would have any adverse effect on performance.

Yes but each country block list contains every IP address allocated to that country, so that's a lot of IP addresses!

This is my concern, total IPv4 addresses = 232 or 4294967296, total allocated to the UK is approx 70 million according to Ofcom, so would blocking 98.4% of all IPv4 address affect performance?

I don't want to just go for it and see what happens on a production mail server.

Eset's country IP lookup is using GeoIP. This is a commercial database. I am assuming it has optimized retrieval methods for determining country associated with IP address. I did an online search here: https://www.ultratools.com/tools/geoIp and result was instantaneous. Also the data retrieved included much more than just country.

34 minutes ago, HenrysCat said:

Ah so the list is external not downloaded right?

Eset would have to answer this.

34 minutes ago, HenrysCat said:

so it's a lookup like a DNSBL?

That's my assumption. Email arrives. Origin IP address is picked up from the header. GeoIP lookup is done to determine country of origin. Eset blocked country list is searched if country of origin is on the blocked list.

Edited by itman