Opening PDF and HDDs

I'm considering on getting additional few licenses of Internet Security Suite  for the remainder of my systems. I'm testing now and it works great with both Win7 and 10 but one thing is really annoying and I have tried disabling some of the settings without compromising the security but nothing seem to make a difference.

If I open PDF that is on a desktop I say desktop because I do a lot documents conversion for my wife to upload to one of her business portal so she can just navigate to desktop, it wakes all of the HDDs as it did with the main UI.

Of course, if i go to documents where all PDFs are on specific HDD, that will wake up the particular HDD rightfully so, but desktop away from all HDDs, that shouldn't wake them up.

I'm really hoping to purchase several additional licences of Security Suite rather than NOD32 alone that I have now for my other systems, but this sets me back and I'm wondering if its  something can be fixed or is there setting I can change.

FYI.  E.g. Docs or other files are fine, only the PDF's that triggers the HDD's 😯

Also, It doesn't do that with NOD32

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators

If I open PDF that is on a desktop I say desktop because I do a lot documents conversion for my wife to upload to one of her business portal so she can just navigate to desktop, it wakes all of the HDDs as it did with the main UI. 

There's no reason for that at all and the only explanation that comes to my mind is that the software for processing PDFs accesses other drives. A Procmon log from that time could shed more light.

Please disregard my inquiry. Although, the issue still persists, I'm happy to report that it has nothing to do with ESET,  It's my main system that I need to troubleshoot, perhaps Acrobat itself I will get to the bottom of that.

When I reported that this behavior didn't exists while having only NOD32installed, well..It doesn't, but only because the PDF's were converted and opened  on another system that have also NOD32 and  # of mechanical drives and I should have done more diligent testing before making false report.

Sorry Guys.

30 minutes ago, Marcos said:

There's no reason for that at all and the only explanation that comes to my mind is that the software for processing PDFs accesses other drives. A Procmon log from that time could shed more light.

Something similar crossed my mind and I will look into this further.

I know this might sound silly but I have been running my system in combination with 2 security software for decade and it has been great, although I always knew that Outpost had small leak but until just recently after installing Internet Security Suite I can see a big difference in responsiveness of my system and my system is no picnic (128GB RAM and 6950X at 4.7GHz) yet, small changes making huge difference.

ESET for life 😀

Thank you Marcus

Edited by URBAN0