ESET BUSINESS ENDPOINT SECURITY CONCERNS

Below are a few technical questions I have about the Endpoint security solution:

1. What are the minimum system requirements for the server-side installation?

2. Does the firewall have protocol filtering capabilities? E.g. block all BitTorrent or FTP traffic?

3. Does the client-side software perform real-time protection when outside the network of the server-side software?

4. Can the client-side software be installed using Active Directory Group Policy? Will ESET engineers be available to configure Active Directory for such an installation?

5. Can we use a single 100 user license across two servers and multiple clients on both sites? Considering two sites.

This questions are kind of urgent, Hence would need your swift response.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I am not with support, but let me see if I can address some of your questions:

• The ESET Remote Administrator server software can actually be run on either a desktop or server version of Windows, depending upon the number of machines be administered, network topology and specs on that particular computer.  Likewise for the client software, which administers the service.  Supported operating systems are Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7 or 8 (desktop), of Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012 R2.  Source:  hxxp://www.eset.com/us/business/products/remote-administrator/
  • The ESET Endpoint Security firewall does have protocol filtering capabilities.  Please see the ESET Endpoint Security User Guide [PDF, 4275KB] starting on page 42 for specific instructions on how the configure the firewall.
  • The endpoint software provides full-protection, including real-time, when outside the work network.  The endpoint software can even be configured in a dual-network mode so that if the endpoint not on the work network, it will download updates from ESET's servers instead of your local ESET Remote Administrator server.  This allows the endpoint's virus signature database to remain current regardless of what network it is on.
  • Deployment of the endpoint software is typically done via the ESET Remote Administrator software.  ESET technical support and sales engineers are available to help with all aspects, including removal of previously-installed security software.
  • I'm afraid I have no idea about how the software is licensed.  I'm actually in the company's research department, and that's really something you would need to speak to a salesperson about.

Contact information for technical support can be found here and contact information for sales can be found here on ESET's web site for Nigeria (headquartered in Lagos, with regional offices in Ibadan, Abuja and, Accra).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Group policy deployments are pretty simple. Do a manual install on a client and set it up so its pointed to your management server and whatever other customizations you want, then export the config out to a file you name cfg.xml. Put the msi installer and that cfg.xml file out on a network share in the same directory and when the installer launches it automatically parses the cfg.xml file as an answer file to configure your clients. Assigned software installs work as expected from there.

You can set up the management servers so that one is the upstream master of the other. If things are set up like that, you should be able to use a single master license key for your entire environment because license consumption information from the subordinate server will be pushed up to the master during their regular synchronization.

Edited by Infractal