HIPS Rules - Generic path doesn't always work

Nono

Hi there,

I'm using ESMC / Eset endpoint security version:

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.451.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.413.0)
ESET Management Agent 7.0.577.0
ESET Endpoint Security 7.1.2045.5

When I configure some HIPS rules, I've a strange behavior depending of the endpoint (on same version of either ESET and Windows 10) :

Some "generic" rules like C:\Users\\AppData\app.exe works on majority of computer (note the empty folder to replace any users)

But some doesn't and need to enter the specific user account (eg. C:\Users\dummyUser\AppData\app.exe)

Is there a way to debug/understand why such behavior ?

• Administrators

I would say that rules with "*" to substitute a folder name should never work since wildcards are supported only in registry paths.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

I would say that rules with "*" to substitute a folder name should never work since wildcards are supported only in registry paths.

Hi MArcos, I'm aware that we can't use "*" but "nothing" works on the majority of our endpoint !

Only some aren't working anymore (they use to work before agent/security upgrade).

3 hours ago, Nono said:

Some "generic" rules like C:\Users\\AppData\app.exe works on majority of computer (note the empty folder to replace any users)

But some doesn't and need to enter the specific user account (eg. C:\Users\dummyUser\AppData\app.exe)

To begin with, Eset HIPS doesn't official support "\\" notation in a path name. If it works, it would only apply to the immediate path specified. In other words in your example for the C:\Users directory, but not for any subordinate directories specified within the C:\Users directory.

Edited by itman

56 minutes ago, itman said:

To begin with, Eset HIPS doesn't official support "\\" notation in a path name. If it works, it would only apply to the immediate path specified. In other words in your example for the C:\Users directory, but not for any subordinate directories specified within the C:\Users directory.

I'm not sure I fully understand, but I have a working rule which is like :

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp\\soft.exe (aka with 2 \\) and still work like a charm.

So, I agree this is maybe not "officially" supported, but why it works on SOME machines, but not the others ? Is there a way to check this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marcos,

So, going back to my original question : What could make it works on one computer and not another ?

On 6/7/2019 at 6:47 AM, Nono said:

It might have something to do with the status of the specific user account.

For example, the "All Users" account is considered an operating system directory and is not shown by default in Windows Explorer. I suspect that "\\" use as far as the Eset HIPS goes might only work for directories that are not hidden by default.

It also might not work based on user account status. For example if the user logs in as standard user, versus a local admin.

Edited by itman

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Nono said:

So, going back to my original question : What could make it works on one computer and not another ?

You can provide me with ELC logs from the machine where it doesn't work and describe what you would like to achieve.