Nod32 scan on ubuntu.

Hatus

I have an Ubuntu 14.04(32bit) OS. If I use nod32(that also would be 32bit) on it to scan a Windows 7(64bit) hard drive would the scan be effective despite the different archteture?

If your question is if your can scan another HDD w/Win 7 x(64)  installed from Ubuntu, I would say the answer is yes. An AV is scanning for malware on the drive regardless of what is stored on the drive. However, whatever malware that is found will be in the context of Linux malware and not Windows malware I would imagine. Simply because NOD32 is installed on a Linux OS.

What you need to do is install NOD32 x(64) on Win 7 x(64) and scan its boot drive for Windows based malware.  

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
22 minutes ago, itman said:

If your question is if your can scan another HDD w/Win 7 x(64)  installed from Ubuntu, I would say the answer is yes. An AV is scanning for malware on the drive regardless of what is stored on the drive. However, whatever malware that is found will be in the context of Linux malware and not Windows malware I would imagine. Simply because NOD32 is installed on a Linux OS.

What you need to do is install NOD32 x(64) on Win 7 x(64) and scan its boot drive for Windows based malware.  

I don't know if I got you correctly but scanning from Ubuntu will pickup and detect Windows/Mac/Android whatever type of viruses on where you desire to scan, even if you are running Linux with NOD32 , and yet you have managed to download for yourself a Windows malware , ESET will detect it(If it's known for sure ;)) because ESET v4 lacks the technology that other products have.

Edited by Rami

The problem is if cleaning is required for the Win 7 malware. Only way that can be done is if Win 7 was loaded and active.

• Most Valued Members
16 minutes ago, itman said:

The problem is if cleaning is required for the Win 7 malware. Only way that can be done is if Win 7 was loaded and active.

Argh I understand , sorry , that is correct.

But if it is just for checking, would the process be worth it? Also, would the different architectures(32bit, 64bit) be a problem?