Update fails with error 0x210a

Hey there,

we are using ESET in version 7 and I just deployed a Windows Server 2016 to be the HTTP proxy yesterday. I used the AIO installer. ESET Management Agent and File Security are also installed on the virtual machine. A quick test reaching localhost:3128 was successful. As a first test I changed the ESET Client configuration on my personal PC an put in the proxy adress. I used this how to: https://support.eset.com/kb6750/#ConfigUsernamePassword.

In did not configure any username or password on the proxy.
After I hit >Update< on my client error 0x210a shows up.

Did I forget anything?

The reason why we need to have a seperate proxy:
Some of our clients are blocked for the public Internet and because of that they cannot reach the update servers from ESET. The new proxy server has a connection to the Internet. Update.eset.com ist reachable.

Thank's for your help.

I am thinking about deploying a mirror client instead of a HTTP proxy. ESET recommends a proxy for large networks, but what means large?
We have about 750 clients and 250 server to manage. What do you think?

I know from other antivirus vendors they use a single server to download all kind of updates, and the sever delivers them to the clients. So only one server has to talk to the ESET update server. Is that possible?

Edited by Schroedi

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Schroedi,

I think this article might be helpful https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/70/en-US/difference_connectivity.html 

and https://support.eset.com/kb3639/?locale=en_US&amp;viewlocale=en_US as well.

Review the simple comparison below of downloaded update data in a month's time using direct internet connection in comparison to Apache HTTP Proxy:

Number of PCs in your corporate network 

Direct connection to internet (MB/month)

Apache HTTP Proxy (MB/month)

In case you decide for the mirror, please make sure that the clients has access to ESET services like LiveGrid and Anti-spam as those increase protection capabilities significantly,...

Regards, Peter

So, I've just finished a call with ESET today. I delegated a Windows Server as a mirror. In the client default policy I configured that every client loads their updates from this server. The server loads all the updates File Security and Endpoint Security. My problem is solved.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Schroedi,

glad you got it resolved.

As I said earlier, please make sure that the endpoints have connectivity to ESET servers to be able to use the reputation services as those increase the protection capabilities significantly.

Regards, P.R.