eventlog.dat is over 80GB!

Over the course of the past year I've been noticing my free space has been shrinking more and more with each passing day. I've finally decided to investigate after my free space dropping below 20GB. This is where I discovered eventlog.dat (located under /var/log/esets) is comsuming majority of that space!

I am running ESET NOD32 version 4.0.82.0 in Mint 18. I am aware there are newer versions of NOD32, but before I upgrade to the latest version I'd like to know why this file has become so large, and that I won't experice the same problem in a newer version.

Thanks.

eventlog_size.png

logging_settings.png

version.png

• Most Valued Members

It is because ESET is constantly reporting about failing to connect to socket due to AppArmor.

Check this topic : https://forum.eset.com/topic/16859-cannot-connect-to-tmpesetssockpermission-denied/

Edited by Rami

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2018 at 9:09 PM, Leviathan! said:

Over the course of the past year I've been noticing my free space has been shrinking more and more with each passing day. I've finally decided to investigate after my free space dropping below 20GB. This is where I discovered eventlog.dat (located under /var/log/esets) is comsuming majority of that space!

I am running ESET NOD32 version 4.0.82.0 in Mint 18. I am aware there are newer versions of NOD32 Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate, but before I upgrade to the latest version I'd like to know why this file has become so large, and that I won't experice the same problem in a newer version.

Thanks.

eventlog_size.png

logging_settings.png

version.png

So now I get it when Rami says the log file will grow big very quickly.

Edited by nour

• Most Valued Members

@nour, It is because ESET is always trying to get access to some kind of files and it's always being denied by AppArmor , so the log will never stop generating the error messages caused by AppArmor

Almost most of the linux dists now do use AppArmor or SELinux , I think the Linux Desktop Edition is failing to deliver what ESET normally delivers for other operating systems

It works , like if you throw at it samples , it will be detected , but I don't know for how long or what happens behind AppArmor protection , can ESET reach over there? , can ESET scan a something behind AppArmor ?