Azure VM Eset extension - why bother?

Hello,
I'm trying to see the advantages of installing ESET using the extension...
I did so on a one-off setup for a client with no remote administrator as I thought it would be a "good fit".
The installation went ok (v6.5), except had to set up as a reseller to get a licence for the client.
Now v7 is here and there is no way (that I can see) to use the Azure interface to upgrade Eset file security on the VM.
Eset said I would need to download the setup onto the VM and run from within the VM...
I have done this (all OK within the VM) but from the FileSecurity Azure interface it still says Version is 6.* and status level is "Warning".
The only action available is "Uninstall"

If I uninstall the (ostensibly v6) extension from Azure will the now v7 version I installed manually be removed?
Also the Azure Advisor says that there is no Endpoint Protection on the VM (said before upgraded to v7)..

So what advantage is there in using the Eset Azure VM extension?

TIA.

• Administrators

We will release EFS for MS Azure v7 once MS has fixed a bug with reporting to the Security Center. Without that, the new extension could not report to it and register in the system.

• ESET Staff
  • I'm trying to see the advantages of installing ESET using the extension...

When deploying infrastructure using Resource Manager templates, you can reference extensions to be deployed to a VM as part of the whole process.

If you want to install to one machine, manual install may be easier.

Extension management interface is not very fancy, e.g. when the extension needs to reboot after upgrade/uninstall, there is no way to indicate that. It will either wait or force reboot – what can be a surprising action for admin.

• Also the Azure Advisor says that there is no Endpoint Protection on the VM (said before upgraded to v7)..

Detection of Endpoint protection is unrelated to whether the product was installed as extension or not. Currently, MS does not recognize ESET as Endpoint protection. Don't know why, we are trying to reach them.

• Now v7 is here and there is no way (that I can see) to use the Azure interface to upgrade Eset file security on the VM.

Upgrade: Extension management system does not do major version upgrades. No way to do that automatically.

Install: Currently, clean install of v7 can be done only via PowerShell, because we need to update the portal UI to reference new major version (it references v6 now). We are working on this with MS right now, but as it is handled via emails, it takes time.