Web control on Microsoft RDP Servers

A lot of our clients use Windows Server to provide RDP services for their users, local and remote ones.

As most of they users are point of sales operators they internet access to the company website and other websites related to products that they work with, but shouldn't use other webpages. On the other end there are groups of users who may access social networks and other users that must have unrestricted access to internet.

With ESET Version 6 we made it by installing ESET Endpoint Security and tweaking policies to make it work in a Windows Server without impact on performance or services communication.  This solution is working since almost 3 years with servers that have >40 remote sessions at a time, but now we want to upgrade to ESET v7 and I see that the ESET Endpoint Security doesn't install on a Windows Server anymore, leaving us without a solution to upgrade ESET on that servers.

I understand that a Windows Server provides a lot of services that need to be taken into consideration and should have a different approach than a Windows Desktop OS, but it seams ESET isn't taking into consideration that a Windows Server with Remote Desktop Services provides multiple windows desktops, with multiple users and needs, so we should be able to use the same features of ESET Endpoint security on a ESET File Security for Windows Server.

Is there any way of doing it with ESET v7> ?

Thank you

Note: I know we should use a UTM and we'll have it on some clients, to provide this and other features, but some clients can't afford it and I was hopping to solve it with ESET.

• Administrators

We do not recommend installing ESET Endpoint Security on servers. Although installation is currently not blocked, this product was not tailored for use on servers. Wouldn't installing EFSW and using URL management be an option to block / allow websites instead of Web Control?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

We do not recommend installing ESET Endpoint Security on servers. Although installation is currently not blocked, this product was not tailored for use on servers. Wouldn't installing EFSW and using URL management be an option to block / allow websites instead of Web Control?

I undertand that it isn't a recommended approach but we've had it working on critical server for a long time ago without any issue. The reason for that is that we have real people working on that server, receiving emails, accessing web pages and all those things we have inside a Desktop OS and File Server v6 didn't address our needs.

I believe the installer was blocking the installation of Endpoint v7 on a server but maybe I missed something. Will check it again on a demo server.

The URL Management is not that easy to maintain, so we must find another way.

Thanks for your help.