Receiving Spam From My Own Eddress

Glasher

Lately I've been receiving email ads (junkmail/spam) from what was shown as my own eddress. I've never subscribed to any newsletter from any site, ever! I've tried to unsubscribe on just a couple because most seem to be coming from the same source. I've tried to reply in hope of getting it stopped and it simply went to myself.

I don't know if this is something that ESET can root out or if there's another direction.

I use IE which has served me well for the dozen plus years I've been online. My provider is Comcast (Comcost).

Here's an article on the issue: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/why-am-i-receiving-junk-mail-from-my-own-email-address/ .

The responses range from your e-mail address has been hacked to ……………….. Probably the best answer is:

The main reason this can happen is that anyone can send emails via any number of SMTP servers (SMTP is the protocol for sending emails) that are publicly accessible. And you can put any email address in as a sender - even ones that don't exist. This latter option won't work with some corporate receiving email servers any more, because they now - in self defence - check whether there is at least a DNS entry for the domain you are using and reject mail from unknown domains. What remains is that any valid email address - however they came by it - can be used by spammers and pranksters and fraudsters as a return address.

You would normally not notice that unless you receive spam from an address you know. And when you ask the alleged sender s/he won't have a record of that mail, because chances are it wasn't even sent via their mail provider. And, yes, you could also receive fraudulent mail that appears to come from yourself.

One of the solutions to determine if your e-mail address book/contact list has been hacked is:

Include in your address book a fake name and email address. If you ever receive an error message and the email is returned, you'll know your account has been hacked.

Edited by itman