ESS 7.0.302.26 Slow Boot

Hi,

I just upgraded to ESET SS 7.0.302.26 from the previous ESET SS 7 version. My system has a very slow boot time now. It's so slow, the monitors go into standby mode for about a minute before the boot resumes.

Is there a fix for this? Would a clean reinstall of the ESET SS7 program resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards

Edited by tjg79

• Administrators

First of all, it's necessary to narrow it down to a particular protection module. Does disabling HIPS followed by a computer restart make a difference?

I'll give that a try. I didn't make any setup changes when I updated the product.

I'll report back once I finish doing some computer maintenance.

Regards

Yes, I disabled HIPS and the unusual delay during boot where the monitors go into standby was resolved.

If I re-enable HIPS will the issue be resolved?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

• Administrators

Please continue as follows:

- clear the HIPS log

- enable HIPS as well as logging of blocked operations in the advanced HIPS setup

- restart the computer

- disable logging

- post your HIPS log records as well as information about installed modules here.

A screen shot of the HIPS Log is attached.

Prior to your last post, I had re-enabled HIPS and I didn't experience the unusually long boot. The HIPS issue was at least mostly resolved by disabling, rebooting and then re-enabling.

Internet Explorer seems sluggish and I'm not sure if that's HIPS related.

Does that attached log file screen shot indicate anything that needs to be reconfigured?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

post-1685-0-10217600-1389061696_thumb.jpg

Attached is a HIPS Log file that shows log entries related to system boot only. Previously, I noticed that several HIPS Log entries occurred before I was able to disable HIPS logging.

For the attached file, I disabled HIPS Logging immediately after system boot completed.

Regards

HIPS LOG.xml

• Administrators

Does the problem persist if you disable Self-defense and restart the computer? Also please create a SysInspector log and send it to me attached to a personal message so that I can see what software and drivers you have installed.

The SysInspector Log was too big at 3.8 MB to send in a personal message.

Is there another way to send it?

Regards

I don't notice any change with self-defense disabled. The unusually long boot was resolved as I indicated above.

I was able to send the SysInspector Log file in a zip file format. It was considerably smaller than the unzipped version.

Please let me know if you see anything that needs to be corrected.

Regards

• Administrators

It's weird that the above mentioned procedure consisting of disabling an re-enabling HIPS helped. Do you remember what version you had installed prior to upgrading to the latest v7.0.302.26 ? 

As for the issue with IE, does it occur with HIPS disabled or disabling any of the protection modules or uninstalling ESS makes it go away?

My previous version was V7.0.302.0.

I don't know that ESS is causing any issues with IE. I only suspect that it might be. It could be something else. It's working fine at the moment. I was having some issues with IE and resolved them by doing a complete IE optimization, by completely deleting all components of the browsing history, clearing the SSL state,  resetting all security zones to default level and disabling some IE add-ons. I did all of that just after I upgraded to IE 11.

I do know that the upgrade from V7.0.302.0 to V7.0.302.26 did cause the unusually slow boot, but resetting the HIPS seems to have resolved it.

I had issues with odd behavior in the past and I was able to resolve it by doing a complete removal of ESS from my system to include all registry entries and then performing a clean install of ESS.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards

Edited by tjg79