When is a new file scanned for viruses?

Wayne

I'm a new user of ESET Endpoint Antivirus and have what I think is a very basic question but the CEO wants a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask.

When exactly does ESET Endpoint Antivirus scan a newly downloaded file? Is it as soon as the download is complete, is it during the download? I'm just not sure, I'd love it if there were a support article that I could point to with the definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Web protection scans files during the download and blocks the file if a threat is detected. Files are also scanned upon access and execution, however, only newly created files and executed files are scanned thoroughly using advanced heuristics. I mean, if one downloads a malicious file with web protection and real-time protection disabled and only then re-enables real-time protection and accesses the file, it may not be detected. However, the file would be detected upon execution or if copied elsewhere so protection is ensured.

Hi Marcos - Thanks very much for your reply, it's very helpful.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Web protection scans files during the download and blocks the file if a threat is detected. Files are also scanned upon access and execution, however, only newly created files and executed files are scanned thoroughly using advanced heuristics. I mean, if one downloads a malicious file with web protection and real-time protection disabled and only then re-enables real-time protection and accesses the file, it may not be detected. However, the file would be detected upon execution or if copied elsewhere so protection is ensured.