Client Installation Task Failed -- But only partway?

I'm trying to use ERA to deploy File Security to 2 hypervisors and a domain controllers. Unfortunately, the task fails ambiguously. 

I say ambiguous because all the information i'm given is that the task failed. Let me point out that it'd be immensely helpful to have more information in the task execution area. even a link from the failed area to a report or a log file would be an improvement. These things existed in ERA5, and should be in new versions of your software.

Searching for information as to why, I generated a report which further confused me:

image.png.b1bc575d7f4447793d32aa1aadcfa4c7.png

Here you can see my two hypervisors. For some reason when I generated the task, there was a task for Security Product, as well as Operating System. Looking back at the Admin section, I can only assume this is because when I click onto one Software Install section, two are indeed selected, one for Security Product and the other for Operating system. If anyone can explain this bizarre behavior, that'd be great. 

image.png.9b64c83ddacbdb59661f843858d8827d.png

So, at this point in time it seems that my Deploy File Security Task, while failed, did succeed in at least some of its capacity. Supporting this is the fact that the File Security icon now appears near my hypervisors:

image.png.272a10767c9a6d579fa1a46b7a7aebcd.png

However, the software does not appear to be present on either (I have rebooted them both):

image.png.2cd925222bca77d177b119b1c507415c.png

What further confuses me, is that as you can see above, there's an alert on VHOST. The alert is that the product is not activated:

image.png.52c11c9e622b8bea87679c93dd78726f.png

This seemed silly, but nevertheless i went ahead and attempted an activation task, which failed as well.

Lastly, when I look in the log files (again, this manual step should NOT be necessary), I see a lot of this, which I can only assume is related to my issues, but I have no idea what to do about it:

image.thumb.png.09de09508f1d5e17db78df474df3d17e.png

Please help! What used to be a simple deployment of software in ERA < 6, is now a major time-consuming and confusing mess! 

Thanks for your time.

Edited by chockomonkey

• ESET Staff

Can you please post “execution history”, for the task results “software install” from one computer? It looks to me, that the weird results are caused by actual installation working, but subsequent activation failing. Have you tried to activate EFSW manually? Is the license you have really eligible for activation of EFSW

Thanks for offering to help, MichalJ--

I'm almost certain my licenses are okay:

image.png.b0c4e3ab7f1c246a81b9e9daa515999e.png

Here's the Execution history for my Deployment task:

image.png.04fecdaced9ef2493d0726dac0dd5c5d.png

I have not tried to activate manually, because the application does not seem to be installed on any of the above machines. All that is installed on each is the ESET shell, which I'm guessing comes with the Agent, which did properly deploy.

• ESET Staff

Can you click on any of the entries in the task list and choose the “history” option? That should tell you what went wrong. ESET shell is part of EFSW, which might indicate the deployment went OK. Was any older EFSW version installed there before? 

Edited by MichalJ

So, I think i figured out what i did. This is the package i installed, quite by accident actually:

image.png.70699ea35aa5daa1214052ef484dbba8.png

So now my question is: Due to the Core product being behind 2 versions, is it safe to use? Can it be activated? 

Actually based on this article https://support.eset.com/kb2789/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US, it seems that i should uninstall this and proceed with regular EFSW, which unlike this version can be administered via ERA 6+

Edited by chockomonkey

• ESET Staff

EFSW 4.5 is a legacy product, and if the system is older, I would recommend to uninstall it, and install the newest version. You can install EFSW 6 also in setting recommended for the CORE systems: http://help.eset.com/efsw/6.5/en-US/index.html?installation_cmd.htm

EFSW 4.5 is manageable via ERA, and it should be possible to activate it. However, in this case, the product activation is done via ERA agent, which activates on behalf of the File Security, and converts the license into the format, that was used by the old product versions (it embeds the old license credentials, and license file into the product configuration). I Assume, that something wrong happened in that process.