Features availability in Endpoint Antivirus

DeltaSM

Hello,

We just purchased ESET Endpoint Antivirus (not the Security edition) for our company needs. After configuring policies for the endpoint, I have some doubts about the features that are integrated with the simple Antivirus version.

Indeed, in the policy, there are configurations for firewall, botnet protection, Web Control, etc (see attached pictures). I just read this KB: https://support.eset.com/kb3612/?locale=en_US

After reading, it seems that we have (and don't have) these options with our license:

- We have: Network Attack Protection,  Email client protection, Web Access Protection, Anti-Phisinh Protection (and also Device Control).

- We don't have: Firewall, Botnet Protection, Web Control.

Can you confirm this?

Kind Regards,

DeltaSM

PrtScr capture.png

PrtScr capture_2.png

• Administrators

That is correct. ESET Endpoint Antivirus (EEA) also has a limited functionality of the Network protection module which uses network signatures to stop malicious communication at the network level. In EEA it's restricted to supported application protocols HTTP(S), POP3(S) and IMAP(S) because EEA doesn't contain the firewall.

As a result, EEA could not protect against exploiting vulnerabilities in network protocols, such as SMB1 which was exploited by WannaCry to spread over LAN to unpatched systems.

Hello Marcos,

First of all, thanks for your answer.

When you talk about Network Protection, you mean Network attack protection (IDS)?

About WannaCry and ransomware, I think that a new module, am I right?

Regards,

DeltaSM

• Administrators
18 hours ago, DeltaSM said:

When you talk about Network Protection, you mean Network attack protection (IDS)?
About WannaCry and ransomware, I think that a new module, am I right?

No, IDS is another kind of protection which doesn't use network signatures to recognize specific attacks. Older products, such as Endpoint Security v5, contained IDS but did not have the Network protection module yet.

Server and Endpoint Antivirus products will support full Network attack protection once they receive a limited firewall module next year.