ESET Outlook Add-in vs. Local Contact Groups

Rhys

Got something a bit strange going on. I am on a business network using Exchange along with Outlook 2016 for email communication. Along with ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.6, each of the computers and Outlook clients has the ESET Outlook Add-in installed and (for the most part) enabled. 

However, one user has been having trouble with the Add-in. A few weeks ago he started getting error messages whenever he tried to send a daily email to any of his locally-created (so saved in his Outlook profile, not kept on the Active Directory side) distribution groups. The initial error was just a simple "An Unexpected Error has Occurred" box when trying to send the email, which also prevented the email from being sent. 

He could, however, send the email if instead of selecting the distribution group he went in and manually selected each of the recipients that he wanted it to go to. After emptying the Auto-complete list in his Outlook to try and fix it the error changed. It would now allow him to send the email but he would immediately get a response from the server saying the message was un-deliverable with the following explanation: 

"'<Distribution Group Name>'
The format of the email address isn't correct. A correct address looks like this: someone@example.com. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message."

I'll spare you the other troubleshooting steps that I had to go through to get to the solution, but I eventually discovered that if the ESET Outlook Add-in is disabled, he is able to successfully send the email to his distribution group with no workarounds. My theory at the moment (given the error above) is that the Add-in is for some reason confused and thinking that the distribution group name is the email address itself, not a group with email addresses in it. 

Here, though, is the rub: the ESET Add-in is re-enabling itself. This means that each time he wants to send to the distribution list in question he needs to go into the Outlook options and disable it again. While that's not the end of the world, my main question here is: 

1. Is there a solution for this that anyone knows of other than disabling the ESET Outlook Add-in? That would of course be ideal, as it's kind of nice having one more layer of security and such. 
  2. If the above is not an option, is there a way that we can permanently disable/remove the ESET Outlook add-in for just his computer or profile? He's the only one having the issue so we don't want to remove the Add-in for everybody, but if we could keep him from having to manually disable it each day before sending his email to the distribution group that would be nice. 

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions!

• Administrators

Do you have any non-standard Outlook add-ins installed besides ESET? I'd suggest contacting Customer care that should provide you with a logging version of the add-in that would generate a log with diagnostic information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:56 AM, bbahes said:

Have you tried to create new Mail profile?

Not yet, as he also has a lot of local contacts that he uses on a daily basis, so he's not too keen on recreating his Mail profile to give that a try and risk having to recreate all of his other business contacts that aren't on the domain. I'll definitely keep that in mind though for the future if it ever becomes a possibility he's willing to consider.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:53 AM, Marcos said:

Do you have any non-standard Outlook add-ins installed besides ESET? I'd suggest contacting Customer care that should provide you with a logging version of the add-in that would generate a log with diagnostic information.

He does also have an Adobe Add-in that he uses and needs, so that he can save emails that he receives as PDFs. Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll see about contacting them to possibly get that information. 

2 hours ago, Rhys said:

Not yet, as he also has a lot of local contacts that he uses on a daily basis, so he's not too keen on recreating his Mail profile to give that a try and risk having to recreate all of his other business contacts that aren't on the domain. I'll definitely keep that in mind though for the future if it ever becomes a possibility he's willing to consider.

He can always extract them or share them with someone else inside organization.