ESET Flag CCleaner as a potentially unsafe application

INI

This message i get when i try to download CCleaner from whichever site i tried whether it is from piriform.com or filehippo or download. Is it a false flag by eset or it is real one?

this message

eset.png

Edited by INI

• Administrators

The detection is correct. A toolbar is known to be bundled with CCleaer. Not sure if it's still possible to obtain an installer that doesn't contain it from somewhere. Anyways, it's detected as a potentially unsafe application. This detection is disabled by default.

Just a little note of interest here FWIW, Piriform (and its various products, such as, CCleaner, Speccy, Defraggler, etc) has now been acquired by Avast! (back in July 2017).  -_-

• Most Valued Members

Disable detection of pua and make sure you uncheck the item on ccleaner setup that installs the toolbar, then re enable the pua detection :)

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, INI said:

This message i get when i try to download CCleaner from whichever site i tried whether it is from piriform.com or filehippo or download. Is it a false flag by eset or it is real one?

this message

eset.png

It's made harder to find than the standard version but there is a lite version available which doesn't include any extra stuff in the installer. This can be found at https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds - I think I read somewhere the lite version might not always be updated straight away at the same time as the main version - e.g. it might come out a day after the main version.

4 hours ago, spc3rd said:

Just a little note of interest here FWIW, Piriform (and its various products, such as, CCleaner, Speccy, Defraggler, etc) has now been acquired by Avast! (back in July 2017).  -_-

Never knew this which is surprising. Wonder if it they are planning to just keep Piriform as it's own company kind of thing or start rolling some of the features into Avast's other products. Maybe they will do what AVG did when they bought the company behind TuneUp Utilities and keep it for a bit but eventually removing it and bringing an AVG TuneUp program later on. I suppose CCleaner is a big name though so it might work out better keeping it separate.

Oh Googling just told me that Avast actually owns AVG something else I didn't know which sounds a bit weird - They own two tune up programs by the sound of it now due to this.

Edited by peteyt

Peteyt is correct that the 'slim' version of CCleaner is typically not available for download right away.  In my own experience, it usually has been about 5 or 6 days before the slim version becomes available (which is what I use).

For anyone interested, there is an article (by Martin Brinkmann) at ghacks where you can read more detailed info about the Avast! acquisition of Piriform (link shown below):

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/19/avast-acquires-piriform-makers-of-ccleaner/

Cheers! ;)