Emailing alert notifications

We are using Mail Security for IBM Domino on our mailserver without remote administrator.

I have setup "Email Notifications" to monitor the software. Today i found out that different alerts (like update errors) are not creating an event so i never get noticed about it by email.

Is there a way to make events from every alert or is the solution setting up a whole remote administrator for one server?

Btw, wich events are recorded? I can't find any information about it.

Edit: I just found out the Update module is generating an event when it can't connect to the update server, so thats a good thing. But in the weekend the virus signature database got out of date and i didn't get a notification of that and it didn't great an event. Only an alert in the gui.

Edited by Daniëlw

• ESET Staff

Hi Daniëlw,

Email notifications work without remote administrator. If you don't receive notifications then it is probably related to your settings. You can set "Interval after which new notification emails will be sent (min)" to 0 for testing and send an email with eicar. This should generate notification.

Filips, thanx for your answer.

Email notifications are working, because i got emails from al events logged in the log file (screenshot events) and notifications when i test with eicar mails and so on.

The problem is that some alerts aren't logged as an event like the license warning (as an example, see screenshot gui) and are only showed in de gui. The problem is that most of the time i don't log in to the server and so i never see the warning.

Is there a reason why such events are not logged like an event? And what do i need to do to get notifications by such alerts?

gui.png

events.PNG

• ESET Staff

For the license alerts, the best would be to use ESET License Administrator, where you can login with your License / ELA password, and enable those notifications, Product currently does not send such notifications directly from the client application. 

In your environment, no ERA is being used? 

We are not using the Eset Remote Administrator like mentioned in the opening post. We have on one server software installed and the administrator looked for me a bit overkill, that is why i hoped the email notification function would mail every alert the gui shows and which is not registered as an event.

The license alert was an example of what kind of alerts we don't get with the email notifications function. I got the feeling the only solution is installing the ERA to get all alerts and notifications the Mail for IBM Domino product is producing?

• ESET Staff

Hi Daniëlw,

all important events/warnings/errors should be recorded in log. I think you stumbled upon a bug - i agree that GUI alert is not sufficient in your scenario. ERA will help you get all alerts and notifications (until the problem is fixed).

Is there an overview of which events are recorded?

Today bumped into this warning (see attachment). Is this an alert that only will be showed in the gui or is should an event be generated?

up to date.PNG