Problem with ESS vs7 and NAS

Hello

I'm new here and I have a problem since installing ESS7 on my windows 7 computers.

It has to do with my NAS connection. I have a network with a laptop, a desktop and a NAS (Synology)

I have made some network connections in Computer with my NAS in order to find some parts like My Documents My Pictures and Downloads very quickly on my NAS.

In ESS 6 if I started up my computer the network connections were found and I could use them. In ESS7 I see in Computer all my network connections with my NAS with a red cross through it. I have to double click on the connection in order to make them connect to the NAS

I switched off the firewall in ESS 7 and then after a refresh everything was normal. I switched off the firewall of ESS and restarted the system and everything was quite normal.

So it has something to do with the built-in firewall of ESS.

Has somebody any idea.

And am I still protected by the Windows firewall while switching off the ESS firewall ?

Gijs

I am assuming you have the NAS drives setup as a network drive.

I suspect it might be a type of latency issue between logon times, services, eset firewall initiating.

You may be able to fix your disconnected drives with a batch in your startup folder

{

@echo off

net use x: /delete

net use x: \\server\directory /user:user1 password /persistent:yes

}

Could try that and see if it fixes your issue, as i think...... although it may be the firewall causing the latency, i dont think its blocking it, only interrupting the normal startup operations  that worked previously.

Edited by Arakasi

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I have a couple of questions.

Where can I find my startup folder

Where is de x: standing for

In the second command line is there a space between user and password ?

Gijs

1. Startup is usually here : C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Anything dropped in here will open on windows logon.

2. "x: " will be the drive letter of your network drive. /delete will be to disconnect or remove your current network drive, it will be helpful if it has problems or issues from sources or password issues etc. so we can create a new connection everytime you login. Eliminates most problems.

3. user will be your username related to your login credentials.

There is a space between your username and password .... yes ....

The syntax would be like this : /user:Bob MyPassword$

where user = Bob

password = MyPassword$

This would be placed in a file type of .BAT and put into startup folder.

If you need to troubleshoot , place the word PAUSE at the end of your batch and it will not close the prompt, so you can see if its a password issue or access denied etc. Remove @echo off

Edited by Arakasi

Hello

I didn't have that much time today but I made a small experiment. I removed ESS and installed AVG free with the Windows firewall and I had no problems at all.

Later this week I wil try your suggestions

Hi

I tried your suggestion making a bat file. I can trace that the connection is deleted and setup again but the result is the same:

After a (re)boot of my computer and after the network seems to be established I still have in Computer on my desktop my networklocations with a red cross through it.

If I double click on such a connection it opens and shows me the content of the share.

Normally a program that uses that share could directly connect to that share, but since the red crosses I first have to double click in order to remove the red cross and open the connection

Edited by Gijs47

Thats essentially what the batch is suppose to fix.

It closes and deletes the connection , then creates a new share with new credentials. Kind of like double clicking to browse.

Seen this a lot on large networks in the past while in a support role.

Did you use  /persistent:yes ? AND a username and password from the target host/server ?

Also is it in the startup folder ?

A simple log off , log on , should be sufficient to test if it works.

Edited by Arakasi

hello

I tried your solution for one connection and it didn't work

Then I searched on the net for the command: net use

And now I have found part of the solution:

{
@echo off
net use S: /delete
net use S: \\DISKSTATION\public wachtwoord:****** /persistent:yes
net use V: /delete
net use V: \\DISKSTATION\public\Mijn Afbeeldingen wachtwoord:****** /persistent:yes
net use W: /delete
net use W: \\DISKSTATION\public\Web wachtwoord:****** /persistent:yes
net use X: /delete
net use X: \\DISKSTATION\public\Mijn Documenten wachtwoord:****** /persistent:yes
net use U: /delete
net use U: \\DISKSTATION\public\Downloads password:****** /persistent:yes
}

I read that you don't have to use  a username because Windows assumes the current user as the user. The password (wachtwoord in dutch) is no longer used behind a backslash but directly after the share name.

It works only for shares with a single name like Web, Downloads and the whole NAS (S:)  But not for the shares like MIjn Documenten (My Documents) and Mijn Afbeeldingen (My Pictures)

Any idea how to solve the space in the share name ?

Edited by Gijs47

with quotes

net use X:    "\\DISKSTATION\public\Mijn Documenten"    wachtwoord:****** /persistent:yes

im just used to network drives on an actual network with hosted file server.

If your accessing a remote device, you can only use credentials located on a user account ,on that server. the credentials on your own system wont be recognized, unless on a domain.....

Keep in mind it is more reliable to have a static ip on your hosted file server when calling up network drives, dont let dns get involved if you can help it.

example :

net use x: \\192.168.1.2\public\Mijn Documenten

vs

net use x: \\ hostname \ public etc ....

Edited by Arakasi

I made one of these today for three laptops connecting to a server.

They wouldnt hold after reboot or log off , some known windows 7 flaw , or possibly the "wait for network " option needs to be set on policy when logging on , i forget.

However the act of removing the share and establishing a new network connection on each login, its free from errors, most of the time.

Edited by Arakasi

First of all my NAS has a fixed ip address.

I can see that it works for a single word share like Web and Download but I have no solution for a two words share like My Documents. I tried to use quotes and double quotes but that does not work. The connections are deleted but no longer displayed in Computer.

I detected a strange thing. I have made shortcuts to my connections on my desktop, also for Mijn Documenten and Mijn Afbeeldingen. If I rightclick on that shortcut the connection immediately appears in Computer and can be used. So I think the connection is still there but is not displayed.

Any idea ?

Thats what the batch is for, so when you login, its already working and done what you just did by clicking your shortcut.

Try triple quotes if your having problems telling the computer the entire directory name in cmd, or batch.

" " " Example " " "

• 2 weeks later...

hello

i was some time on holiday so it took a lng time for my answer.

The triple (double) quotes don't work either. I tried double quotes an d singel quotes, but the space between Mijn and Doucmnet (My Documents) causes the trouble

Its funny during my attempt to create a screen showing the use of multiple quotes i discovered something funny which i should have known with sharing but it slipped my mind. It may be why you cannot get things to work.

You will see the use of double quotes, also. . . .

See if you notice what i did, should be easy by the cmd picture.

Hope it helps .....

post-1101-0-04020200-1383633528_thumb.jpg

You renamed the sharename in a sharename without a space in it. That's the easy way and it works even without quotes, because I have also shares without spaces in the name.

But I can't use that trick because the sharename is used in several programs and backups so I don't want to change the name

Right, but the quotes and double quotes helps with spaces in folders. If not then the system assumes after the space you are adding a switch or parameter next or new function call.

You cannot use the string with a space and not use quotes.

Input your string here to evaluate, there is no reason you should be getting a directory or network not found, unless it really does not exist, or your string is bad.

:)

By accident I discovered what causes all the trouble but I don't have a solution right now.

My laptop is password protected. Today I started my laptop and I could not logon immidiately, So after 5 minutes I could fill in my password and after that the computer had internet instantly and my networkshares were all there and I could acces them.

I restarted the laptop again and made the logon directly and I saw that the wifi connection was starting up very very slowly . First of all windows was searching foor a wifi connection for about 1.5 minutes and after my modem was found it said "restricted access" for another 2 minutes.  Then it started the identification.

I think that the script for the networkconnection was already running in those minutes but couldn't find a network.

So I don't think it is a network problem but a wifi problem, although connecting the laptop wired to my modem and disconnecting the wifi gives the same behaviour, i.e. it took a long time before the connection is established.

Maybe I have to switch my question to another forum unless you can help me

I would not mind assisting, it sounds like you may have a service on delayed start or possibly a crucial windows ip service is delayed as that is essentially saying please wait 2 minutes after the last service starts, to begin its on sequence. It may also be a problem with winsock or wins, even dhcp with your adapter or router. Either way its easily discoverable through troubleshooting.

If your laptop is password protected, we should add that to the batch on startup !

First if i were you i would download this tool here : hxxp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/

Run it with all options checked, and paste the log here. ( You are capable of uploading a txt which i would prefer you do instead of the long text into a post. )

Lets start there to make sure you have no issues with services on your computer.

If you find another forum or local tech to assist you that is alright as well. Thanks for posting.

We have eliminated ESET as the culprit. :)

Hi Arakasi,

Thank you that you will help me further with my problems

I did run the program and the results can be found in the attached file. I see no problems.

The scan is made after my delayed logon, I waited a few minutes before entering my password.

If you need another scan like incase of a 'normal' logon let me know

I found in the logbook another thing a fault reported by NetBT every 5 minutes starting at login time

Event 4321

De naam WORKGROUP      :1d kan niet op de interface met het IP-adres 192.168.178.14 worden geregistreerd. De computer met het IP-adres 192.168.178.16 staat niet toe dat deze naam door deze computer wordt gebruikt.

I will try to translate it:

The name WORKGROUP  :1d can not be registered at the interface with IP address 192.168.178.14 (my laptop). The computer with IP-address 192.168.178.16 does not allow that this name is used by this computer

Gijs

FSS.txt

Edited by Gijs47

I found in the logbook another thing a fault reported by NetBT every 5 minutes starting at login time

Event 4321

De naam WORKGROUP      :1d kan niet op de interface met het IP-adres 192.168.178.14 worden geregistreerd. De computer met het IP-adres 192.168.178.16 staat niet toe dat deze naam door deze computer wordt gebruikt.

I will try to translate it:

The name WORKGROUP  :1d can not be registered at the interface with IP address 192.168.178.14 (my laptop). The computer with IP-address 192.168.178.16 does not allow that this name is used by this computer

Regarding this error, it says you have another computer on your network with the same hostname already.  192.168.178.16 , open a cmd and ping it with -a switch which will attempt to resolve hostname through dns.

Having checked the FSS log to see all your files are legit and services are not missing or corrupted. . .

I have to return to your first few posts where you stated disabling eset firewall resolved your issue with the delayed start ?

I have seen and heard of this issue before with the delayed internet, but not sure on end resolution.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/702-eset-ss-v6-delays-my-internet/

Will you try changing your network type and testing to see how ESS reacts if you have not used a different type for your current network ?

Start menu > Control Panel >  *Recommend switch to view by small icons > Network and Sharing Center > Click the type and change it from Home to Public, or Work or visa versa.

Pictures included.

If its a new network ESS should pop up for setting a new rule.

Configure with ESET, then restart and test if issue persists under new network type.

post-1101-0-19585100-1383775546_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-20408700-1383775556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

Also, please try what Marcos has suggested here :

I cannot find an answer to my question whether changing the integration type to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" followed by a computer restart makes a difference. If so, try to reproduce the issue with integration set to "Only scan application protocols" and let us know about your findings.

Please try and post back with these settings on if they make a difference.

Regarding this error, it says you have another computer on your network with the same hostname already.  192.168.178.16 , open a cmd and ping it with -a switch which will attempt to resolve hostname through dns.

I solved this problem by switching off the desktop, nas and printer. After that I could still ping to the above mentioned address. after some investigation I detected that it was my Blackberry Playbook tablet, which uses the same network name WORKGROUP.

I found the cause in  hxxp://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-care-virus.193183/ where is stated

6/10/13 9:35:19 AM, Error: NetBT [4321] - The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 172.16.1.72. The computer with the IP address 172.16.1.63 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

6/10/13 9:19:09 AM, Error: bowser [8003] - The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PLAYBOOK-33B2 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{FE013E0B-8083-42B3-B089-0DB930D9B872}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

6/10/13 7:26:49 AM, Error: BROWSER [8020] - The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is unknown.

So I think this NetBT error is solved. I can change the networkname of my playbooktablet

Edited by Gijs47

I have to return to your first few posts where you stated disabling eset firewall resolved your issue with the delayed start ?

I have seen and heard of this issue before with the delayed internet, but not sure on end resolution.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/702-eset-ss-v6-delays-my-internet/

If I disable the firewall the problem still exist, but I saw something else. I checked after disabling the ESET firewall what the status of the windows firewall was. I can't control the windows firewall nor switch it off because the Windows Firewall is under control of the ESET firewall. So I could not check or edit the settings of the Windows firewall.

Strange because in the ESET control center you think you switch off the total firewall of the computer., which seems not to be the case. So I think I have to remove the ESET software to check the windows firewall settings ?

I'm 'glad' I am not the only one with problems w.r.t ESET Smart security version 7.

I will investigate your other suggestions and let you know. Thx again

Edited by Gijs47