Installation question

Currently, I have ESET Remote Administrator version 5.3.x installed on my local PC. We are now starting to put client machines in our new ESET environment (6.x) and I would like to install the console locally on my PC (as the web UI is rather lacking).

I started the installer but it's asking for SQL details (and/or asking to install SQL) and I'm not understanding why. I just want to connect to an existing instance of ESET 6.x.  On version 5.x I never needed to install SQL or know about the SQL username/password, I would just login to the hostname where we have ESET 5.x running. So I'm unclear of this change on ESET 6.x and wondering if I'm even using the right installer?

I just want to remotely manage an existing 6.x installation using the console tool.

Thanks

• ESET Staff

Hello. ERA V6 only uses the web interface. There is no option to install a local console, like it was in case of ERA 5. Also, ERA 6 needs an ERA 6 server, which needs the SQL database. I would recommend to get familiar with ERA V6 first, in order to understand all of the changes (which are quite big, compared to ERA 5.x).

• ESET Staff

Also, to control Endpoint 6.x you have to install ERA agent next to it, which will then take care of managing the endpoint, and connecting it to ERA 6 server. You can't manage V6 endpoints with V5 console.

Oh wow.... no console on 6.x?

The web console is pretty bad on 6.x, for example there's no way it seems to resize the 1st column in the Threat View. It just has a short word (like "trojan") but it takes up almost half the screen. The other columns I can shrink down but not this one.

The other problem is that the web console logs me out for inactivity. I like to have the threats view open on a side monitor, but it keeps logging me out.

• ESET Staff

No, there is no standalone WIN32 application for ERA V6 (and we are currently not planing to bring it back).

Webconsole is being used by all users of ERA V6 installations (tens of thousands of them), and we do not have any reports, that it´s "pretty bad" (of course, there could be issues, but we are trying to resolve them on the fly, with the sequential releases of ERA).

1st column of the threat view could be expanded, by using the top (header) bar. What kind of information you are missing there? There are other columns, that could be both added / resized / reordered, that should give you the information, you actually need.

Also, what is your screen resolution? 

Concerning the auto-logout time, it´s possible to define the logout time, in the "access rights" section, separately for every user.