memory leak on v10

chrcoluk

I have been running v10 for a while on both my laptop and desktop, overall I am happier with it than v8.

However on my laptop there has been a niggling memory leak, its slow but steady, it seems to leak about 100-200mB a day in resource usage, the leak cannot be recovered by closing programs, I have always had to reboot to recover the memory.

I started playing with the settings and found by disabling the new ransomware protection in HIPS settings has solved it.

I have an idea of why its happening, my laptop runs automated tools every minute which connect to my modem to collect stats and upload to a server, several scripts are run to collect and process this information, these tools have caused a lot of security programs to have problems, so I suspect nod32 is having issues with them, I am happy to share the tools with the developers if it helps them diagnose the problem.  My desktop doesnt seem to have the memory leak problem.

Edited by chrcoluk
fix typos

• Administrators

Do you mean that ekrn consumes more than 200-250 MB of RAM? I assume that especially ransomware protection may need more memory to store data about monitored processes so it's normal that memory consumption may rise over time a bit. Also information about scanned files is stored in RAM and the amount of the data grows a bit as files as scanned. How much memory ekrn consumes, let's say, after an hour since the system started with and without ransomware protection enabled?

I am not talking about the process although I didnt specifically check the process usage but I think its tied to the OS buffers or something, as I remember checking task manager and no process had large amounts of usage.  It was basically memory unaccounted for.  Task manager reported the memory as commited but in the process list nothing had it used.  The problem goes away when I disable the ransomware protection and does not exist in nod32 v8 (but of course v8 doesnt have the ransomware protection).  If I ignore it then windows will eventually start closing down processes when memory runs out as after a few of weeks of uptime its several gigabytes of memory leaked.