Unblocking a network scanner

Go to solution Solved by Ubtree,

I have a scanner on a network with 3 PCs (one running Windows XP, one runnning Windows 7 and one running Windows 10), all protected by ESET Smart Security.  I have been unable to scan to any of the PCs over the network, and have spent several hours over the last week troubleshooting the issue.

Today, for the first time, ESET asked whether to allow access to the PC from the scanner's IP address.  I confirmed that access should be allowed, and after this I was able to scan to that PC for the first time.  I clearly need to do this on the other PCs, but my understanding of ESET doesn't extend to doing this without first being prompted by ESET.

Can someone point me to where this needs to be done within ESET?

• Administrators

If the other computer is in the trusted zone, file sharing is enabled and you can access it from another pc. ESET does not prompt you for an action unless you have the firewall working in interactive mode or you have a rule to ask for an action created.

If the other computer is in the trusted zone, file sharing is enabled and you can access it from another pc.

I am not experiencing any problems communicating between the PCs on the network.

ESET does not prompt you for an action unless you have the firewall working in interactive mode or you have a rule to ask for an action created.

For a week after the scanner was installed on the network, I repeatedly tried to perform scans from each of the PCs, and rebooted each of the PCs a number of times.  During this period, ESET never, on any PC, asked whether access should be allowed from the scanner IP address.

Then, out of the blue, on one of the three PCs ESET asked whether to allow the scanner's IP address to communicate with that PC;  I confirmed that communication should be allowed, and I was then able to scan to that PC.

For whatever reason, on the other two PCs ESET has still not asked whether to allow access from the scanner's IP address (even though it is operating in interactive mode), and is blocking access. 

I therefore need to manually configure ESET to allow access from another IP address on the network.

• Administrators

If you didn't switch firewall to interactive mode and didn't have any rule to ask for an action created, I assume it was a kind of attack (IP scan?) which was detected and you were asked for an action to take. The attack detection should be logged in the firewall log. If an attack coming from a trusted device is detected, you can exclude the detection for the given IP address to prevent further detection.

It'd be good if you could post a screen shot of the prompt window.

If you didn't switch firewall to interactive mode ...

ESET is operating in interactive mode on all 3 PCs.

Edited by Ubtree

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

ESET support has ascertained that the problem is caused by Protocol Filtering of the scanner's IP address, and that the solution is to set that IP address as an exception for Protocol Filtering.