what does the startup file check do?

Hi Friends,

I just updated my ESET version, and am setting up the schedule for when I want things to happen.  As far as I recall, there weren't any options for the startup file check before.  It either happened or it didn't.  But this time (either it's new, or I just never noticed before) there are 6 or 8 different choices for which files get checked.

So now I'm curious.  What does the startup file check check for?  How can I know which option to choose if I don't know what it's doing?

I did try to find out by using the Help files.  There is a big page telling me what all the options are, for which files to check.  But it didn't tell me what the files are being checked for.

A simple answer is fine.  I don't need a lot of technical info.

Thanks for your help  :)

• Administrators

A startup scan scans files that are run automatically when Windows starts. You don't need to adjust any of the default settings. It's nothing new, the feature has been there for several years already.

I know the feature has been there a while, and I know that at least from what I remember, you didn't have to adjust anything except when you want it to happen.  But this time, when I finished the...I guess it's sort of like a wizard, that walks you through when you want to have it run (how often, what day, what time, etc.), a new dialog came up that looks like the attached screenshot.

It's asking me which files I want to be checked, and what the priority is.  And I do realize I could let it run with the default, which appears to be All Registered Files.  But since it's giving me the choice, I thought it would be good to know what it's checking.

Maybe the terminology could be better?  If it said "startup file scan" I wouldn't have to ask what it does - it scans them.  But "startup file check" makes me think it's not a scan, but it's checking for something else.

To me "startup file check" means it's checking some files at startup, rather then checking the files that automatically run at startup.  And since it's asking me which files, that reinforces my understanding (correct or not) that it's checking some files at startup.  So maybe there just needs to be some better terminology?  If it's checking the files that run at startup, why does it ask me which files to check?

Thanks for your patience in helping me understand  :)

post-6530-0-49138700-1434362514_thumb.png

• Administrators

Well, perhaps it'd be better to rename "Automatic startup file check" to "Automatic startup file scan" as all this feature does is scanning of files that start automatically with Windows. Below is the same screen shot from v4:

post-10-0-18316300-1434380041_thumb.png

Glad I saw this posting. I didn't realize this option existed.

As far as the OP's original inquiry, hope you realize that the "registered files" option means scan all files mostly. 

My startup file check options is what I am questioning. I have two that were set up by default.

1. Scan after user logon. Files run after user logon 

2. Scan after updating. Commonly used files.

Well and fine on those two. But what about files accessibly without user logon? Are files scanned in this option also being scanned in the "Files run after user logon" option?

Seems to me a system startup scan needs to be added with the option "Files run before user logon?" 

Edited by itman

Seems to me a system startup scan needs to be added with the option "Files run before user logon?" 

That's the first choice in the dropdown in my screenshot.

Ok, so it's scanning startup files.  You said that very clearly. 

Does that mean "All registered files" option is scanning only registered files that run on startup?  Or is it scanning all files, which I guess is basically scanning the whole computer?

You understand why that All Registered Files option leads me to think "Startup File Check" means check all files at startup rather then check startup files?  So I'm still a little confused.

And for another example, is Frequently Used Files option scanning frequently used files that run at startup?

Thanks again  :)

Here's a description of the features from SS 8 Help: 

Automatic startup file check

When creating a System startup file check scheduled task, you have several options to adjust the following parameters:

The Scan level drop-down menu specifies the scan depth for files run at system startup. Files are arranged in ascending order according to the following criteria:

· Only the most frequently used files (least files scanned)
· Frequently used files
· Commonly used files
· Rarely used files
· All registered files (most files scanned)

Two specific Scan level groups are also included:

· Files run before user logon – Contains files from locations that may be accessed without the user being logged in (includes almost all startup locations such as services, browser helper objects, winlogon notify, Windows scheduler entries, known dll's, etc.).
· Files run after user logon Contains files from locations that may only be accessed after a user has logged in (includes files that are only run by a specific user, typically files in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).

Lists of files to be scanned are fixed for each aforementioned group.

Scan priority – The level of priority used to determine when a scan will start:

· Normal – at an average system load
· Lower – at a low system load
· Lowest – when the system load is the lowest possible
· When idle – the task will be performed only when the system is idle
Edited by itman

Yes, I saw that, as I stated in my op.

Either you all are not understanding my question, or I'm not understanding your answer.

If "Startup File Check" scans only files that run at startup, why is one of the options "All registered files"?

If that can't be explained, then maybe I need to look for a new security system.