Win 7 64

Eset FW Default settings.

I have only 1 system that I connect directly to internet (no router) or router (wired) or router (wifi). Wifi password is WPA2 protected.
So should I choose Home or Public?

How to permanently set Home or Public in Eset FW so that network selection window doesn't appear?

Hi, naren. Sua here. I have replied your post at Wilders and hope you can keep me updated. hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/eset-fw.374146/#post-2468474

I don't know whether it works or not but pls let me know. Thank You.

Edited by yongsua

I have only 1 system that I connect directly to internet (no router) or router (wired) or router (wifi). Wifi password is WPA2 protected.

So should I choose Home or Public?

This depends on the location at where you are connecting to the network. If you are at your own home, then you can choose Home. If you are connecting to public wi-fi at public location, you should choose Public. Another thing that you need to take note is sometimes you need to manually change this Home or Public option in case the ip addresses and subnet masks that you have added in the Zone editor are exactly identical whether you are connecting to home or public network without ESET alerting you. 

Edited by yongsua

In Eset FW, there is an option to monitor modification of programs

Does this option gives popup?

Does this option gives popup even if the FW is set to default i.e automatic?

Is this option chatty i.e will issue quite a few popups?

I am going to install ESS on my family system & they will not like popups.

So if the above option is chatty & will issue quite a few popups then I will install EAV on their system.

IMHO, there shouldn't be any interactive pop up from ESET FW automatic mode. The automatic mode would just block any inbound connection and allow all outbound connection, so I assume that there should be no interactive pop up. However, there might be a pop up at the right bottom corner when ESET detects and blocks any network attack. 

IMHO, there shouldn't be any interactive pop up from ESET FW automatic mode. The automatic mode would just block any inbound connection and allow all outbound connection, so I assume that there should be no interactive pop up. However, there might be a pop up at the right bottom corner when ESET detects and blocks any network attack. 

Just want to know for info, if the FW is set to automatic then  "application modification detection" when detects program modification gives popup or not i.e allow/block popup or just notifies i.e no allow/block option or no popup & no notification?

Coz the help files for "application modification detection" mention gives popup on detection.

But application modification detection is a part of FW & if FW is set to automatic, will application modification detection give popup?

Or it will give popup only if FW is set to interactive?

Edited by yesnoo

Okay...

1. If you are directly connected to the internet (with no router and thereby no local network) set it to public network. As you can't use things like file sharing in your local network anyway (because there isn't a local network) this isn't problematic.
  2. You will only see an application modification popup for modified files for which you created a permanent firewall rule. As you may do this often when using the interactive firewall mode it usually only happens there. In the automatic mode there shouldn't be displayed such a popup (unless you created some rules manually of course).
Edited by rugk

Okay...

1. If you are directly connected to the internet (with no router and thereby no local network) set it to public network. As you can't use things like file sharing in your local network anyway (because there isn't a local network) this isn't problematic.
  2. You will only see an application modification popup for modified files for which you created a permanent firewall rule. As you may do this often when using the interactive firewall mode it usually only happens there. In the automatic mode there shouldn't be displayed such a popup (unless you created some rules manually of course).

Thanxx for replying.

1. So I can use Public Network for direct connection, when used wired router & when used wifi through my router, as I dont need file & printer sharing, right?

How to set Public Network default for all my connection so that I dont get network selection window?

2. So if I am understanding it correctly, application modification detection will give popup only when FW is set to interactive mode & permanent rules created through it & any permanent rules created manually, right?

AMD will not give popup if FW is set to automatic & no permanent rules created manually, right? In this case modification is allowed automatically, right?

I have selected an option in FW.

I guess selecting this option will not give network selection window & Public Network will be selected by default, m I right?

Any disadvantages of this?

Attached is the screenshot.

Torrent will work fine with this?

post-6697-0-59926200-1426279226_thumb.png

Edited by yesnoo

1. Right, for direct connection I would recommend it. But when you use your (wifi) router then it might not be "required" to set it to public network, but you can of course still use it if you don't need local services like file/printer sharing and remote desktop.

Normally your public/private network settings are automatically saved, so you only have to answer the question one time. But you already selected an option which should suppress this questions.

2. 3 times right. :D

About the option I already wrote in 1) there. And yes, AFAIK you're right.

Ehm disadvantages...

Maybe that you can't choose between private/public network when you connect to a new network (such as a public wifi or similar).

On using torrents this settings has no affect. AFAIK torrents should work with the firewall in automatic mode. If not then you can always create the necessary rules.

Edited by rugk

1. Right, for direct connection I would recommend it. But when you use your (wifi) router then it might not be "required" to set it to public network, but you can of course still use it if you don't need local services like file/printer sharing and remote desktop.

Normally your public/private network settings are automatically saved, so you only have to answer the question one time. But you already selected an option which should suppress this questions.

2. 3 times right. :D

About the option I already wrote in 1) there. And yes, AFAIK you're right.

Ehm disadvantages...

Maybe that you can't choose between private/public network when you connect to a new network (such as a public wifi or similar).

On using torrents this settings has no affect. AFAIK torrents should work with the firewall in automatic mode. If not then you can always create the necessary rules.

Got it, Thanxx.

I dont have email client installed i.e Outlook, Thunderbird, etc...  not installed.

I use Outlook web version.

Can I disable email client & antispam protection or they provide protection to other things too?

No email client and spam protection only provide the protection their name suggests. But AFAIK they don't affect the system performance if they are activated and not used, so you can disable them, but it wouldn't be a use.

Additionally if you disable the email client protection ESS' icon will turn orange, so this might not look so nice. :)

I disabled email & spam protection & ESS icon is the same blue.

Internet browsing is little affected with ESS i.e internet browsing feels little slow with ESS compared to EAV, what you say?

Really? Well... in my case ESS showed a warning after I temporarily disabled the email client protection.

Internet browsing is little affected with ESS i.e internet browsing feels little slow with ESS compared to EAV, what you say?

This may be the case (however I never noticed it). However I was only talking about the two modules "email client protection" and "spam protection". If they are not used I think they have no impact on the system performance, so in other words it may not speed up your computer if you disable them.

Edited by rugk

Really? Well... in my case ESS showed a warning after I temporarily disabled the email client protection.

This may be the case (however I never noticed it). However I was only talking about the two modules "email client protection" and "spam protection". If they are not used I think they have no impact on the system performance, so in other words it may not speed your computer up if you disable them.

Yes, disabled or enabled the resource usage of the program should be the same.

This may be the case (however I never noticed it). However I was only talking about the two modules "email client protection" and "spam protection". If they are not used I think they have no impact on the system performance, so in other words it may not speed up your computer if you disable them.

If you disable email protection permanently then the icon remains normal i.e blue.

If you disable it not permanent i.e other option then it changes to orange.

I meant in general, I feel internet browsing little slow with ESS compared to EAV.

And Eset forum site is very slow for me, don't know why?

Other sites are opening fine.

I have 4mbps broadband cable connection.

No it's fine here, no problem on this forum or any other site.

Edited by SweX

If you disable email protection permanently then the icon remains normal i.e blue.

If you disable it not permanent i.e other option then it changes to orange.

Ahh... interesting. :)

It seems ublock was the prob.

Uninstalling it solved the prob.

No probs yet.

Maybe you want consider to report this to uBlock. But it's good to hear that this has nothing to do with ESS.