Horrible Sequoia (ESET 8.1) rollout

Sean_TER

So today I was alerted by one of my users who installed Sequoia that they lost internet, and after investigating, it was because ESET. 

My dashboard, shows every clients' ESET application/modules as being 'up-to-date', yet they are clearly not. We're on 6.616.1 but Sequoia requires 8.1 😮  2 major versions difference. This 8.1 version was not announced, no mention anywhere on the dashboard, no email. YET IT IS REQUIRED to use Sequoia. This 8.1 version was released on Sept 9th. yet as of today when Sequoia was released there is still no update/mention of it. 

After I contacted support chat, they explained that I need to create a task to update the version (was always automatic in the past), I've done this now, and all the macs on my dashboard have gone RED. (all are in various states of critical/errors to do with the ESET installer).  

So the 1 thing ESET is supposed to do, protect me from threats, has now caused the problems by not being aware of its own updates etc. and the convoluted path to update to a required version. 

So for Mac users they can:

1. update to Sequoia, and lose all internet connectivity, or the ability to connect to wifi because outdated ESET blocks it. (also blocking the ability to update ESET) requiring a support visit to remove/reinstall etc. 
  2. update to ESET 8.1 (sequoia version), which doesn't work via task, breaks everything on the local mac, and then still requires a support visit to uninstall/reinstall clear errors etc. 

sounds well thought out and customer friendly. for sure! 

Hi @Sean_TER, I hope you're doing well. I noticed this exact thing this morning when a few of our macOS users logged tickets that their devices weren't connecting to the internet. It turns out that this affected us because we were still using the product/version "ESET Endpoint for macOS (V6) and Linux (V4)" and not "ESET Endpoint for macOS (V7+)", which is actually required to be able to upgrade your relevant endpoint installation above version 7 (hence, getting it to version 8+).

This ESET article helped me resolve my issue and this ESET article is more like a "quick fix" (I'd still recommend following the first one to properly fix the issue).

I had this exact issue and had to call Apple Support for help because, even though uninstalling ESET was one of the first things I tried to fix the issue, I still couldn't access the internet. It turns out that even though I uninstalled ESET, the ESET firewall system settings did not get deleted and needed to be. The moment I deleted the ESET firewall settings I had internet again.