System lagg and Very slow internet.

When I first installed it was extremely fast and for about the first month as well, after that there was a definite gradual slow down system wide and especially the internet. Everything was fixed by uninstalling ESET and rebooting.

There is one other system protection software that exhibits the same behavior Bit-defender.  They both start off as fast initially and then slow everything down.

I paid for a subscription which is now not being used. Is there a way around the system slow down? Or do I have to uninstall and reinstall every month?

I would like to use ESET as it is not a system hog but the slow downs are very frustrating.

Edited by NoBody1
missed a word

• Administrators

First of all please make sure that there is no AV installed but Windows Defender prior to installing ESET.

Should you experience performance issues after installation with default settings, please carry on as follows:

1. When the issue occurs, enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics -> Advanced logging in the advanced setup
  2. After 30-60 seconds stop logging
  3. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive to a safe location (e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox,...) and drop me a personal message with a download link.

Posted (edited)

I only install one AV ever.

So your solution is to reinstall the AV that has the behavior even after multiple installs same result?

It does not slow down until around a month after install. You want me to reinstall so I can wait a month?

Is this the solution you seriously recommend?

Edited by NoBody1

• Administrators

There's something wrong, maybe Defender doesn't deactivate for some reason after ESET registers in the Windows Security Center. We'll need advanced operating system logs created as per the instructions above to determine the root cause.

The internet slowdown is quite severe. I have 1.5TB and only get 800 mbps - 200mbps after the slow down Mostly 200 mbps. Shorty after install I get fullspeed. 

I have Bugged my ISP to death and they say I should get full speed all the time as my connection is the fastest they have.

• Administrators

I would recommend raising a support ticket. Since the issue affects network speed and not computer performance if I understand it correctly, it could be caused by Windows Filtering Platform which is a part of Windows and which many AVs including ESET and other 3rd party applications leverage for network filtering. If you experience also system lags and performance issues, please provide logs as requested above.

40 minutes ago, Marcos said:

maybe Defender doesn't deactivate for some reason after ESET registers in the Windows Security Center.

Suspect this is the issue since it occurred w/BitDefender installed. It has been documented that on some Win 11 installations, Microsoft Defender will run concurrent with the installed third party AV for some unknown reason. To verify this is the case, perform the following;

1. Open Windows Security Center.

2. Select Virus & threat protection.

3. The screen displayed should appear as follows;

Eset_WSC.thumb.png.e36ba095dc62b2cf6053d0010d5984ef.png

4. Select Manage providers. The screen displayed should show that both Microsoft Defender and Windows Firewall are turned off as shown below;

Eset_WSC_2.png.7361f086bf347d31b467413946025e57.png

Edited by itman

21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I would recommend raising a support ticket. Since the issue affects network speed and not computer performance if I understand it correctly, it could be caused by Windows Filtering Platform which is a part of Windows and which many AVs including ESET and other 3rd party applications leverage for network filtering. If you experience also system lags and performance issues, please provide logs as requested above.

It is both Internet and system slow down. There is a lagg in the system when I install.

I just reinstalled ESET will see how it goes, it should take a month before it goes into total slow down mode.

10 minutes ago, itman said:

Suspect this is the issue since it occurred w/BitDefender installed. It has been documented that on some Win 11 installations, Microsoft Defender will run concurrent with the installed third party AV for some unknown reason. To verify this is the case, perform the following;

1. Open Windows Security Center.

2. Select Virus & threat protection.

3. The screen displayed should appear as follows;

Eset_WSC.thumb.png.e36ba095dc62b2cf6053d0010d5984ef.png

4. Select Manage providers. The screen displayed should show that both Microsoft Defender and Windows Firewall are turned off as shown below;

Eset_WSC_2.png.7361f086bf347d31b467413946025e57.png

Antivirus and firewall show up as shown.

Just now, NoBody1 said:

Antivirus and firewall show up as shown.

Do you mean Microsoft Defender and Windows Firewall shown as turned off?

1 hour ago, NoBody1 said:

It does not slow down until around a month after install.

I must say, I have never heard of this situation.

Since it also happened w/BitDefender installed, one possibility is someone is stealing your bandwidth. Are you on a Wi-Fi connection?

3 hours ago, itman said:

I must say, I have never heard of this situation.

Since it also happened w/BitDefender installed, one possibility is someone is stealing your bandwidth. Are you on a Wi-Fi connection?

It only effects me and no I'm not on wifi internet slow down and system lagg.  If that bit defender uninstaller did anything it took about a 1 ns to complete and didnt show anything.

Since this problem occurs after a month or so per your statement, I would start monitoring disk usage for the drive where your OS is installed on a daily basis. If you observe that available disk space is being significantly continuously reduced, it will reach a point where overall system performance will affected. If this is the case, the next thing is to find out what is consuming your disk space.

There are non-default logging settings for various Eset protection features that can result in their respective log files growing to extremely large sizes. Of note in this regard is Eset won't start deleting log file entries until 90 days (default value) has elapsed for them.

-EDIT- Here's an example for what happens to hard drive disk usage when Eset Diagnostic logging is permanently enabled: https://forum.eset.com/topic/41818-eset-taking-up-nearly-700-gb-of-disk-space/ .

Edited by itman