My laptop is very slow after installing ESET Internet Security

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. When the issue occurs, enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics -> Advanced logging in the advanced setup
  2. After 30-60 seconds stop logging
  3. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive to a safe location (e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox,...) and drop me a personal message with a download link.

What are the hardware specs,,e.g. CPU, amount of memory, etc., plus what Windows OS ver. is installed?

Lenovo Thinkpad P17 Xeon W-10885M / 32GB / 1TB / Quadro RTX 5000 16GB / 17.3 inch UHD 4K

Windows 10

I noticed the CPU when using ESET was around 80-90%. This is crazy.

There may be a system file identified as infected by ESET

1 hour ago, thumuatitan said:

There may be a system file identified as infected by ESET

Open Eset GUI. Select Tools, then Log files. If Detections is not selected, select it.

Within the Detections log are all malware, etc. found by Eset. The Action setting should be cleaned or deleted. If Eset found malware in an Win OS file, it might not have able to remove it due to Win preventing access to the file. If such log entries exist, post a screen shot of them.

1 hour ago, thumuatitan said:

Lenovo Thinkpad P17 Xeon W-10885M

It's unusual for a Xeon processor to be installed on a laptop. Wonder if that is a factor in the Eset performance issue.

Edited by itman

Reviewing Lenovo Thinkpad P17 Xeon W-10885M specs, it includes Lenovo's ThinkShield security tools described here: https://techtoday.lenovo.com/sites/default/files/2023-01/Lenovo-IDG-REL-PTN-Nurture-General-Security-ThinkShield-Solutions-Guide-177-Solution-Guide-MS-Intel-English-WW.pdf . One of these tools is SentinelOne® AI-powered antivirus.

Also this device appears to be Intel vPro enabled. The question is if Sentinel One is integrated with the vPro TDT: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/vpro/hardware-shield/threat-detection-technology.html processing? Of note here is Eset HIPS processing also interfaces with Intel TDT processing.

In any case, I see mutiple points of potential conflict with Eset which could explain the device's sluggish performance.

I tried reinstalling the operating system and reinstalling the latest version of ESET Internet Security. Laptop is running well. I will install some more software and will report the results here