Inquiry about Full Disk Encryption

NicoCuesta

Hola ! Instalé Full Disk Encryption en un servidor. Necesito saber si hay alguna manera (ya sea desde la consola u otro lado) de hacer que el servidor inicie colocando la contraseña de manera remota.

Lo que me sucede es que si le instalo actualizaciones al servidor, realizo algún otro tipo de mantenimiento remotamente o simplemente se corta el suministro de energía eléctrico, cuando se inicia nuevamente el equipo, la unica forma que inicie el SO es poniendole la contraseña físicamente y por lo general todos los trabajos de mantenimiento se realizan de manera remota.

Aguardo su ayuda. Muchas gracias!

Machine translation:

Hello ! I installed Full Disk Encryption on a server. I need to know if there is a way (either from the console or elsewhere) to make the server start by entering the password remotely.

What happens to me is that if I install updates to the server, perform some other type of maintenance remotely or simply cut off the power supply, when the computer starts up again, the only way to start the OS is to physically enter the password and Generally all maintenance work is carried out remotely.

Edited by Marcos
Machine translation added

• Marcos changed the title to Inquiry about Full Disk Encryption
  • ESET Staff

Hello @NicoCuesta

In the event of you needing to reboot the server to do some maintenance or updates, within ESET Full Disk Encryption we have a task or a setting within the policy which can be used to turn off FDE authentication so the system will boot straight to Windows. Although the ESET agent will need to receive this command whilst the system is on therefore it wont work if you've already rebooted. More information on this can be viewed here - https://help.eset.com/efde/en-US/maintenance_mode.html#:~:text=Disable FDE Authentication setting can,-> Full Disk Ecryption Mode. 

However what is your attack vector for installing Full Disk Encryption on a server? FDE only provides protection when data is at rest, otherwise known as when the server is turned off. I imagine this wont be the case 99% of the time, therefore I'd strongly recommend ensuring the server is secure both physically and over the network. More information on this can be viewed here - https://help.eset.com/eee_qsg/en-US/encryption_with_network_servers.html - ESET Endpoint Encryption and ESET Full Disk Encryption work the same so this article applies for both products.

Kind regards,

Ashley