Why would ESET require my address and phone number to use security software I just purchased

Ive used Kaspersky, Nortons, Mcaffee, and none of the REQUIRED my phone number and address

Am I missing something? Do I have to provide this?

• Administrators

I assume it depends on the country. I don't know how it's in the US but in our country the name and address is mandatory data required by law and must be included on invoices. I would recommend contacting ESET LLC for clarification if you have doubts.

It's not Eset that requires your name and address. It's your credit card company that requires it for verification. I have always had to enter my name and address on any web based purchase I have made using my VISA card.

As far as phone number goes, I beleive that is optional data.

On the other hand, I just went to the McAfee web site and all they require is name. Eset licenses are geographically restricted. An Eset license purchased in the U.S. can only be used on device's resident in the U.S. This might explain the need for name and address,

Edited by itman

Ever since i started to use ESET in 2017 I have had to fill in that info, including the phone#, otherwise you cannot proceed. I just went thru it 2 months ago renewing my license.

This is the only screenshot I can find of that pop up, from a long time ago, its from an article that calls it "ESET's NOSY ACTIVATION."  https://uk.pcmag.com/security-suites/44164/eset-smart-security-7?p=1

"Most products require an email address along with activation; ESET wants your full and complete contact information, and won't proceed without it. "

What if I didn't have a phone, does 999-999-9999 work???????, I do not know, I did not try it.

eset-smart-security-7-nosy-activation.jpg

Edited by Swamp Yankee