No logs are being generated

Go to solution Solved by NikiH,

I just set up the 30 day trial before switching from my old AV program, Essential version.  The initial scan ran and quarantined 2 files, so I was able to see at least a bit what happened there and restore them.  But there was no log generated for the scan.  The scan ran uninterrupted until it completed.  I then ran another scan today on just 1 drive to test it and again, no log file was created.  The window where logs are shown is completely blank. 

Is there some setting I've got wrong, or a way to fix this?  Everything else so far looks great and options are what I want, but I definitely need logs.

Eset No Logs.jpg

I've since discovered that I don't have permission to access where the Eset logs are stored in ProgramData.  Let me figure out that issue first, and then I'll post the logs.  Do you need all the Windows Logs as well or just the Eset logs shown?  I'm not sure if this issue started before or after installing Eset, so uninstalling temporarily might be one step.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, NikiH said:

I've since discovered that I don't have permission to access where the Eset logs are stored in ProgramData.

The program should have permissions to read scan logs from "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\logs\eScan" so even if you don't have rights to access the logs on the disk, you should see them in the program gui.

ESET Log Collector must be run an administrator so it should have permissions to collect all logs. You can leave default logs selected but make sure to select also the Computer scan logs to collect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Just an update on this issue in case it helps someone else.  As a first step I uninstalled eset and after restarting the PC I had full access to the ProgramData directory again.  I downloaded a fresh copy of eset, installed it as admin, and this time everything seems good, it did not block access to the ProgramData directory this time around, which means logs are able to be written and viewed.